feathers and composting

• 9 Replies

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
feathers and composting
« on: October 13, 2010, 07:50 »
Hi quick question, 4 of my girls are moulting and just wondered if i can compost feathers?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:13 by joyfull »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: feathers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:08 »
not sure about that but think you may get more advice on this if I transfer it over to the growing section as those peeps know an awful lot about composting  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: feathers and composting
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:29 »
Can't think that many feathers ever got into the composting along with poo and bedding when we had the girls, but I would imagine that feathers would compost eventually but very slowly..

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:33 »
well my garden looks like they have been having a pillow fight but like argyllie says not too many feathers end up in the compost.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:22 »
One of the big communal bins up the lottie is used for feathers along with chicken poo, that someone leaves at the gates periodically.
when the bin is full it's just covered with a bit of tarp till it's ready for use.........don't know how long it takes to rot down though.

rachelr

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:33 »
you soak the feathers in water and weigh it down and leave for quite a while(see bbc website). The actual feathers take ages to break down but the liquid gotten off them is full of goodness and can be used to pour onto your beds. I am not sure what the stuff is but nitrates rings a bell. Have searched for the site i found it on but cant find it. I think it was hugh fernley witenstall.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:39 »
Feathers are mainly protein and compost or rot quickly if kept moist. I have buried and composted many pheasant feathers over the years no problem,that is if they do not blow about.

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:16 »
Our 6 ducks drop a few feathers all the time and have a big moult once a year, some feathers finish up in or on the pond and get put on the compost heap when pond is cleaned out along with sludge etc, some get mixed with straw bedding so they all go on the compost heap and others go up the lawnmower when I cut the grass in  their outside run. I have never notioced any that did not rot away by the time I am digging in the compost or sieving it for use in pots etc.
Just be sure feathers are mixed in and heap stays moist enough and warm enough for composting to go ahead
R

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 22:36 »
Thanks everyone, will try and find BBC info, would be good to get use of them. think i will soak for a bit then add to comp heap. Many thanks,

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 00:45 »
Just a quick deviation from the topic.....
My chooks are moulting and there are feathers all over the lawn. When scarifying last w/e I noticed there were loads just sticking up out of the soil like growing plants!!!
First I thought it was the kids planting them, then I realised it was WORMS dragging the quills down. Really weird.....
I think feathers are very high in protein and if worms like them they must compost!

xx
Composting

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post April 04, 2022, 22:16
by pepsi100
xx
Composting - Lid On / Lid Off.

Started by sausage on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 00:42
by leeky
xx
Composting Yew

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 18:15
by sion01
xx
Composting

Started by casper on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post April 24, 2021, 15:52
by jezza

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 37 queries.