Rapberry Ringspot Virus and Gooseberry Sawfly, not to mention the ants...

• 13 Replies

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
Hi all

Thought I would kill three birds with one topic!

Ringspot - After a season of loose berries and now discolouring leaves it seems my raspberry canes have the ringspot virus (after reading a magazine article).  The article suggested binning canes and starting again, but I was hoping for a less drastic alternative.  Has anybody got any suggestions?

Sawfly - Got hit by this earlier in the year, though it didn't affect this year's production as the berries were already formed.  I have read that the larvae go into the soil after stripping the leaves, and that next year's harvest amy well be affected - again, is there anything i can do to remedy the situation?

While I am at it (al the fruits are in my only bed!), practically all my blackcurrants were snaffled by an army of nearby ants (though they left the other fruits alone! ???) - would putting ant powder on the bed be a sactisfactory solution?  I am a bit concerned about putting that type of chemical near an edible (ooo almost got a rhyme there too)

anyway - as always, any advice gratefully received!

cheers

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I've never heard of ringspot on raspberries.

Here's the RHS info on the gooseberry sawfly.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/Profile.aspx?pid=517

As for the ants, I've not heard of them eating blackcurrants before, either.

Perhaps others will be of more use  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatcat1955

http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=953
Here's the info on raspberry ringspot, not good reading i'm afraid

gillie

I had not heard of ringspot virus, but I know that raspberries are prone to viruse infections.  You can't cure viruses. I think the only thing you can do is grub out and burn the canes and replant in a different place. 

I don't think ants would eat blackcurrants either.  Were there any greenfly on the bushes?

Gillie

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
you may well be right - but I know I had lots of blackcurrants developing on the bush, but then I looked and it was swarming with ants - when I looked a little later, there were only a few currants left - maybe "2+2=543" in this case...  :blink:

not sure about the greenfly/aphids - note to self, must look closer!

really disappointed with the suspected ringspot - it really does sound serious, will have to try and examine closely tonight - or maybe even take a piccy... see if someone can positive ID it...

Paul Plots

If you're having that much trouble (and you watered and weeded and fed) I think I'd plant strawberries!  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
heh - I have strawberries too - the only fruit not affected it seems!!

here are the photos I took of the Raspberry and Blackcurrant - I would be interested to see if people agree with my diagnosis or whether it could be something else...

I included the blackcurrant as I notice some of the leaves seem to be having problems too!  :ohmy:
Image068.jpg
Image069.jpg
Image070.jpg
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 14:21 by eeedowls »

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
Just thought I would bump this back to the top to see if there are any opinions on the Raspberries....

Paul Plots

I may be completely wrong but....... as Autumns well on its way might a lot of the leaf discolouration be due to the fact that they are gradually shutting down for winter?  :blink:

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
Thanks for the response - you may well be right and maybe the article in the magazine has led me astray slightly...

I noticed earlier in the summer the berries were quite "loose" and not tightly packed, and coupled with the discolouration came up with maybe the wrong answer....

Paul Plots

My raspberries were not up to scratch this year.... my fault I think.  :( They needed water and didn't get it as I was busy so better luck next year - I hope.

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
Did you have "loose" berries and dscolouration too?

The soil is clay (apart from added spent compost), and I used a potash feed for them during the Summer too...

Paul Plots

To tell you the truth I can't remember. Berries dropping off may well have been a sign saying "you're flipping late getting here to pick me so I've given up!" They tend to drop off on their own if you don't pick the tings in time.  ::)

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
oh - so I might simply have left them on the plant for too long?  :blush:

to be fair, they tasted great...

Well, bought three more canes on the weekend so will stick those in and see how they go!

xx
gooseberry sawfly

Started by NeilH on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 18:36
by Amilo
xx
Gooseberry sawfly

Started by zarazara on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 23:03
by chrisjsmith
xx
Gooseberry Sawfly

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 22:44
by Babstreefern
xx
gooseberry sawfly

Started by philmoore6 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 21:52
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.963 seconds with 37 queries.