Mildew, mildew, mildew

• 17 Replies

viettaclark

Mildew, mildew, mildew
« on: October 10, 2010, 20:18 »
I'm getting exasperated and pretty depressed with mildew which is spreading through my beds.
First to succumb was the outside cucumbers back in July and I thought it was just the hot weather and lack of airflow. Then the courgettes got it (they're about 100' away at the top of the garden!) Now my mangetout are manky, my Autumn strawbs are mouldy, the lamb's lettuce has started mottling and I noticed some on the Swiss chard today.
Is this the same mildew? Does it spread like this? We've had plenty of rain so it's not dryness.
Do the spores over-Winter in the soil and come back to ruin everything next year?
What can I do?

Pip Judgeford

Re: Mildew, mildew, mildew
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 20:21 »
Try 2 litres of water, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, half cup liquid seaweed compost, srayed at 10 day intervals.  The baking soda changes the Ph to make it less mildeew-friendly, and the liquid seaweed gives a tonic boost to the plant.  This should keep the mildew at bay long enough to get crops.

Pip

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 20:38 »
Please read this article before considering whether to use a homemade pesticide:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65430.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 22:29 »
Surely a fungicide Yorkie? ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 22:30 »
The defra definition of pesticides includes fungicides  :D

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 01:38 »
 :ohmy: Gotcha, didnt realise the UK was so closely regulated.  The organic movement is pretty strong in NZ and there's a lot of swapping of approaches to weeds/fungi/pests and a lot of data/experience about what works.  I'll button it back on this site.

Pip

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 08:19 »
:ohmy: Gotcha, didnt realise the UK was so closely regulated.  The organic movement is pretty strong in NZ and there's a lot of swapping of approaches to weeds/fungi/pests and a lot of data/experience about what works.  I'll button it back on this site.

Pip

Only the UK. complies with EU directives, the rest of Europe doesn't comply with regulations of any kind!!!
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:51 »
I just think that it,s the time of year, you can try spraying, but with this cold damp air i think you will be wasting your time.

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 23:20 »
Will it reoccur next year? Does it stay in the soil? :ohmy:
My huge strawberries are going brown then mouldy, some with long grey hairs some just covered with grey dust.
I've had a good crop so I suppose I ought to clean and tidy the bed now.......?

paintedlady

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 04:19 »
I just think that it,s the time of year

I'm inclined to agree - especially the strawberries & peas if the weather has been cool and wet for a while then got a bit humid & warm, and they were unlikely to keep on going forever.  Now would be a good time to clear the beds and remove any mouldy fruit and old leaves from strawberries to get more air circulating round the plants. 

Will it reoccur next year?

most likely as the spores are everywhere and airborne at this time of year - mildew is like any other fungi and mushrooms that you see now, producing fruit bodies and releasing spores.   Even in the wild, blackberries and other fruits will be succumbing to mildew as it is nature's way of composting    ;)

Chard is very hardy and I think should be alright.  I'm not sure about lamb's lettuce (I don't grow it) but I think what you are seeing is most likely to be surface coating and the result of the weather (very damp & humid)   I'm also wondering if your garden is not getting enough air movement (is it well sheltered, especially if surrounded by trees and bushes) and does it get very damp at this time of year?  It sounds a lot like my greenhouses - I closed the doors the other week because the temperatures started to drop and I still had a lot of chillies & peppers to ripen but forgot to open them when the weather warmed up .... dare I mention that I have been kicking myself for not checking sooner  >:(

Re: courgettes and cucumbers - in the right conditions, they do get mildew readily and is not unusual.  You could try growing varieties that  are more resistant in future.

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 09:10 »
Thanks Paintedlady!
 Yes, I have got a sheltered garden with trees round the edge. My neighbour has just cut back the beech so I'm getting loads more light and hopefully air circulation.
I'll rip out the peas and clean up the strawbs today while the weather's good.
Just noticed my courgettes are producing a new lot of healthy leaves and flowers so maybe they've shrugged off the mildew. Must feed them!!!
V

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:17 »

Pip

Only the UK. complies with EU directives, the rest of Europe doesn't comply with regulations of any kind!!!

Just as an aside - I thought the EU worked as follows:-
The Germans and French make the rules
The British obey the rules
The Spanish and Italians break the rules
And the Greeks and Eastern Europeans say "What rules?"
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

fatcat1955

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 09:13 »
And all the others you have not mentioned are here breaking the rules.

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 12:58 »
Gosh, this has fast turned into what might be considered somewhat offensive.

fatcat1955

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 18:11 »
I'd call it tongue in cheek, but then what do i know.

xx
Mildew

Started by cissie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 13:55
by cissie
xx
mildew.... or maybe not...

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 16:50
by lazza
xx
mildew

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 14:07
by JayG
xx
gooseberry mildew ?

Started by daveylamp on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 08:48
by BAK

Page created in 0.573 seconds with 30 queries.