sorry me again - going to bed

• 8 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
sorry me again - going to bed
« on: October 09, 2010, 22:47 »
I was under the impression that come dusk the girls would put themselves to bed, not so it would seem. Waited until nearly dark and decided I would have to intervene. Half an hour later with two of us running around the run like nutters we finally got them all in the house ( watched with amusement I feel by our cat!!) any tips?! ???

PaulineM

Re: sorry me again - going to bed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 23:25 »
Hi
Mine went to bed on their own from day one, but you could try throwing a little bit of corn into their coop when you want them to go to bed. I have also read on here that if you put a torch inside the coop to light their way it helps them find bed.
Just think of the happy memories you are making anyway.  :D
Good luck tomorrow night and let us all know how you get on.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

JohnVW

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:06 »
I am sure that like most of us you sometimes give your girls a little treat, probably in a small feed dish of some sort.  Try carrying the dish so they can see it and take into the house, they may well decide to follow you with enthusiasm.  Once they settle into a routine you will probably have little trouble.  Mine always put themselves to bed often before I think it's necessary.  When I go down to close the pop hole and lock the compound they have already settled down.  Best of luck.  John

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 15:21 »
  Hello Debsie. I put a post on about getting new girls to bed. If you click on my name to the left of this it's post no 53. Might be of help! :)

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 15:50 »
Hi orchardlady, tried to find post, no 53 about ducks, will keep looking, thankss

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 19:36 »
If you've only just got them it is a good idea to keep them shut in for about 24 hours as this helps them go in again once you've let them out. The food is also a good idea plus hang a torch in the house until they go in. They will soon get used to it. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 20:06 »
Here you go Debsie, sorry about that.

I must start this post in saying that I have kept hens for over 15 years now and absoluly no hens were over stressed or hurt doing this.

I have 8 new POL warrens and I started them off in a house with a run, then made the run bigger and then removed the run and used poultry flexible netting to cordon off their lovely large area. All the time being able to see the other hens. The final stage was to allow them access to the other hens and for them to free range together. I felt they should continue to sleep in their origanal house but rather foolishly moved the house about 20 yards from where it had started. They could see it, they could go in and out, they could walk round it but no they decided that was not where they were going to go. Some decided to go to bed in with the ducks (much to the ducks displeasure) some decided to go into the main hen house..fine..and some decided to go into the half grown chicks house again not ideal. In and out they went looking worried and unhappy and simply refused to 'see' their origianl home. To herd chickens I thought why not use the hose pipe. So I set the hose pipe to a thin strong stream and herded them to the main hen house. I did not make them wet but put the hose water just in front of them if they looked like they were going to make a dash in the wrong direction and they responded calmly and perfectly taking themselves to bed perfectly happily. Voila ...how to heard hens!   

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 20:42 »
managed to get them in the house by myself this evening as Hubby was out. Enticed them with a bit of corn, Millie lets me pick her up so she went in first, Ruby was halfway up the ramp so popped her in and Mrs Pepperpot quickly followed, Henrietta ran around the run for a bit before she realised she was the last one and then quickly followed the others. Phew!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 20:51 »
Mine will go mad for corn.  But, if I give them tinned sweetcorn they will go into their coop, onto their perches and dance a can-can should I want them to. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 28 queries.