Creepy crawlies???

• 6 Replies

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
Creepy crawlies???
« on: October 09, 2010, 14:42 »
Hi there, I think  I may have a red mite problem but them I am not sure so can please someone help identify the crawlies that I have......?

I was poo picking the nest box yesterday and noticed what looked like compost dust on the bed ( which is dust extracted shavings) I scooped it out to have a look and saw the whole thing was moving yuk, I started itching  :lol:

They were tiny little critters and gingery brown in colour  gosh I am itching now at the thought of them, rightly or wrongly I have removed all of the bedding jeyes washed and them sprayed with red mite spray.

Can you confirm red mite or not from this description and what effect they have on the chickens and should I now do something to treat the girls please??

Thank you all for your advice  :) :) :)

Broody
if wishes were changes.......

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Creepy crawlies???
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 15:22 »
Yuck - I'm itching in sympathy  :(

Red mite are nocturnal and tend to hide in cracks and crevices during the day.  They are very dark red in colour and look like tiny red dots.  You don't tend to see them which is why they get missed.  If your girls are very late into bed this can indicate red mite. 

Have you checked your girls to see if it's lice.  They tend to cluster around the bum at the ends of the feathers closest to the skin so you need to turn them upside down and part the feathers down to the skin.

Both the above are blood suckers so will debilitate your chicks quickly if left untreated.

If the girls are clean, there are mites/lice that live in the bedding alone.  I've had them once before and found a spray down of the house with PoultryShield cleared them  :)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 15:31 »
Sounds like red mite, check the underside of the perches as they tend to cluster there.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 15:39 »
Boy I am still itching!!! and have taken your advice the girls are clean everywhere and no sign of the crawlies and they were out in the day before and quite active in little clumps just looking like brown compost dust eeek still itching,

Has anyone read this and not itched  :D :D :D

Thanks again

broody

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 15:50 »
I forgot to mention the fact I had sprayed with smite. Also if they are bedding mites I have not heard of them any info regarding them critters please  :unsure: :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 15:59 »
Might be worth chucking your sawdust and buying fresh unless you are sure it's totally clean  :unsure:  The critters I had were only in the bedding and not on the birds and were tiny but visable and you could make out little legs etc.  I've been lucky and only had red mite in the chicken house once.  They are minute and are just dots.  I used a couple of spray treatments a few weeks apart to clear these. You can use red mite powder on your bedding as a deterrant to both and it's worked for me so far although some don't rate it, so your choice.

I was itching for days afterwards when I found creepy crawlies in the hen house  ;)  :lol:

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 16:02 »
thanks new shoot

from what you have described it does sound like them,,,, heck I am itching again!!

Funny thing is I can recall seeing this dust like stuff earlier in the year and did not examine it so I really think its the bedding mites then, I will keep spraying daily with the smite but if you know of something better please advise.

many thanks itch itch   ::) ::)

xx
Creepy crawlies on hens

Started by Gloria on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 21, 2007, 16:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
Creepy crawlies on hens

Started by klou on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2007, 10:12
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ewwwwww feel dirty creepy crawlies poss lice?

Started by Chirpychick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 14:51
by Chirpychick
xx
Creepy things in my layers pellets?

Started by BML on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 07:03
by ehs284

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 38 queries.