I Hate Comfrey

• 19 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: I Hate Comfrey
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 14:51 »
Bocking 14 is sterile so is fine to plant but take care not to spread any tiny roots around your plot.

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 15:02 »
No!  Your Bocking's will be fine

I have planted Bockings around my compost bins and they're fine, no self seeding or any problems

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 19:47 »

Lasagne gardening approach... I don't know what that is, sorry.  Could you tell me?

Carpet is a real no no on allotments nowadays Pip.  It leaches nasty chemicals into the ground

Aunt Sally - Nearly all of NZ carpets are wool, not synthetic with lots of fire retardants etc, so we use it here OK as a standard supressant.  I will ask around about the leachates though - you have got me thinking.  Possible comparable to ink from newsprint?

Michellela - lasagne gardening is making a no-dig garden bed like you make lasagne - lots of layers of yummy things.  Kind of like making a large in situ compost heap I guess - pea straw, manure, grass clippings etc etc.  The top layer is mature compost and the seeds or seedlings get planted into that. By the time the roots are getting into the rest of the heap, its rotted down enough to be useful. I've seen lasagne gardening used in schools - a hands on compost and how to plant lesson all in one, resulting in a garden bed with very few weeds.

Pip

[Edited to show quotes properly]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 20:01 by Yorkie »

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 20:02 »
Thanks for the explanation Pip, it sounds like a good way to keep on top of things.  I have a confession though... I quite like the satisfaction of digging up the weeds.  This may change after the novelty has worn off though.

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 20:18 »
I quite like the satisfaction of digging up the weeds.  This may change after the novelty has worn off though.

Know what you mean about the satisfaction of creating clear ground from chaos!  I do a mix of weeding and mulching, because I run out of time to do lots of weeding, and I'm after the gardening being a pleasure not a overwelming chore.

Pip

xx
Tomatoes - Hate to eat them but still grow them

Started by scentedstock on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 17:32
by wighty
xx
Comfrey

Started by Hillbillypop on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 22:13
by viettaclark
xx
Comfrey

Started by Tinbasher on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 09:58
by Beejay
clip
is this comfrey?

Started by Hadakare on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 21:00
by Dai

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 27 queries.