To lay or not to lay?

• 5 Replies

helens-hens

To lay or not to lay?
« on: October 07, 2010, 21:06 »
Hi there

I am hoping someone may have come across something similar. I have a black rock hen, in her first year, who has been laying probably 6 days out of 7 since I had her (in April). For the last couple of weeks (notably since the days are getting shorter) each time she has laid it has been quite early at about 0830. The last 2 days she has been going into the nesting box at the same sort of time  but not laid any eggs.

She looks as though she is in lay (bright red wattles etc) and appears in good health and acting normally in every other way, with a good appetite etc. I have picked her up and gently felt underneath but I can't feel anything hard/egg shaped but as I am new to this I compared her to my other hen and they appear the same (the other hen is laying normally).

This doesn't seem right to me even if she appears well in other respects & I am bit worried  - does any one have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Helen
Helen

helens-hens

Re: To lay or not to lay?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:16 »
Just an update - this is now the 3rd day where she has gone up to the nest box early (about 0800 this morning) but produced nothing. She still looks as though she is in lay, looks healthy & normal in every way.

I am getting worried - has anyone any ideas?

Any thoughts / ideas much appreciated

Helen

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:20 »
I think she would be in distress all the time if she had an egg stuck.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 14:27 »
Hi there,
We have 5 hens that had been laying well but we haven't had any all for almost a month now.  I think it's the time of year
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 14:49 »
Mine are starting to go a little inconsistant now with their laying, I have an ex bat who has never laid, prob just goes and breaks wind but she will as yours are doing sit on the nest for 20 mins then walk out.
I often think like us we are creatures of habit, thats what the brain tells them to do so they do it.
I agree with Aunty, I would of thought if there was a blockage she would show signs of stress by now.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 15:35 »
Hi everybody

Thanks v.much to all for the messages. Being a newby it is easiy to worry about the slightest thing so it is very comforting to have other people's thoughts on this. I am thinking it must be the time of year (think I read somewhere today they ideally need about 14 hours daylight for optimum laying). I'll try & explain to her that she is wasting her time up in the nestbox!

Thanks again

Helen

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 36 queries.