Really hope some one can advise...

• 21 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Really hope some one can advise...
« on: October 05, 2010, 19:34 »
Hi

I've only had my hens just over a fortnight and I'm really not having much luck.  I lost one of my girls last week and two out of the 3 I have left are ill.  They are puffed up all the time and have the runs.  The poo is varying from runny to foamy to watery with lumps in.  To top it all off they also have scaly leg which I'm treating them for.  I spoke to my vet who basically said that the best thing to do would be to put them out of their misery as he thinks its too late for antibiotics.   

Now my coop is faulty as the roof is leaking and so I'm expecting a replacement sometime this week.  Would it be wise to put the poorly hens in the new coop? I don't want the infection to spread.  I obviously don't want to loose my girls but can't stand the thought of them suffering. 

I really hope someone can advise me on what to do as I really don't want to leave them much longer. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Really hope some one can advise...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 19:47 »
When did you worm them last? try doing that and yes move them into a new coop - the damp will not be doing them any good. After worming (use flubenvet for 7 days) go back to the vet and ask for some antibiotics - if they don't think they are worth it take your custom to another better vet.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 19:48 »
I am soooo sorry to read about your troubles.  :(  :(  Only had my girls 3 weeks and would be devastated if any thing happened to them.  Hope someone comes along soon that might be able to give you some advise.  Will be thinking of  you.
Jinty

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 19:58 »
I wish you all the luck in the world in getting your girlies well again. Please keep us advised of their progress. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

Mary.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 20:12 »
Oh what bad luck just as you are starting  :(

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 20:13 »
Hello Beth.

You are clearly having a really rough time with your new friends and I'm truly sorry for your troubles. There are two ways of approaching the situation and they very much depend on your mind set. If your girls are ex battery hens they are coming to the end of their useful egg laying life and have probably had a pretty rough existence up until now. Their general well being and health is probably fairly poor.

The two attitudes.

1. Dispatch your girls and feel assured that you gave them a few good weeks before their end. Start again with new pullets (POL)

2. Go down the rout of the vet. Worm them and spend your money on antibiotics. A small animal vet often knows ver little about poultry, so look for a veterinary practice that deals with livestock. They may well have a partner that has an interest in poultry.

My personal opinion and really this is only mine would be to go down the first rout. It's hard and probably rather harsh but ex battery hens do have a reputation of arriving with poor health and possible behaviour problems to.

If you birds are young birds they probably have a stronger chance of pulling through with veterinary attention. Also I would go back to the person who supplied you the birds. If they are a reputable breeder they will want to keep their good name and would either be able to give you good advice or replace your birds.

If it was the ex battery hen charity they may well be able to give you support and advice.

If you do find that you loose your girls it might be a good idea to leave hen keeping until the Spring. Clean and disinfect the house after your ladies have gone and allow the winter frosts to kill any possible lingering nasties.

Hen keeping is very rewarding especially in the warmer months. You are heading into the grimness of poultry keeping over the Winter.

Please don't think me heartless I'm trying to help you be realistic.

My very best wishes and I'll be thinking of you as will many other members here. Chin up. Please let us know how you and your ladies get on.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 20:27 »
I agree with you completely Orchardlady, nothing to add except  best wishes to Beth 123 and her chooks .

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 20:33 »
Thanks for the advice.  I think you maybe right orcharlady, I know what you mean about it seaming heartless but maybe it is for the best.  They aren't ex battery hens but they were not looked after and I think it's that thats making it harder, they were suppose to be coming for a better life.  For that reason its not really possible to go back to the person who I got them from.

What's your view on my warren who seams healthy?  She was from a breeder and has had her vaccinations.  In her first week of being here she laid an egg every day but since loosing my first hen I've not had any eggs.  If the the other two have to be put to sleep she will be on her own,  will this be a problem?  How long would you leave it before getting some more hens?

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 20:35 »
it is recommended that you don't mix vaccinated hens with those that haven't been vaccinated.

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 20:39 »
I know exactly how you are feeling Beth but don't give up. Try your best without letting them suffer too much. Hens are fickle things and the best veterinary advice doesn't always sort them out when they are sickly as I found out when starting off. Definitely get them wormed with Fubenvet and a I believe Frontline will sort the scaly leg problem but don't use them both together. Use Fubenevet to sort out any internal parasites and vaseline their legs up to reduce the scaley mites. It would be worth trying to find a hen knowledgable vet who could give further advice.

If it comes to the worst just take a break and start again as Orchardlady advises. The rewards are to great to give up.

Good luck and will be thinking of you.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 20:41 »
and after treating with antibiotics follow this with a probiotic (I use avipro plus which is for birds) but at a push you could use a live yoghurt (not a lot though as they are lactose intollerent).

orchardlady

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 22:06 »
If your Warren is healthy and you do loose your sick ones or dispatch them your Warren will be by herself. You are then faced with the problem of a lonely chicken who is a 'groupy' animal. I have never had to introduce new chickens to a single one but have introduced a single one to a group. I would suggest that you get young pullet (POL) birds, maybe two. As your hen will be on home turf I would hazard a guess that she would be top hen and will make sure the younger lassies know it. As said my experience is very limited here and it might be worth starting a new thread to glean others experiences.

One step at a time Beth. I'm afraid you are having a baptism of fire here. Most poultry keepers don't have to face these problems so soon after starting. Chicken keeping is a rewarding activity and you'll get there. We'll try to metaphorically hold your hand. I know we will probably never  meet but a big hug. You'll get through this and come out the other side better for it.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:07 »
Thank you for your support, after having a very restless night I think the best thing to do would be to put my girls out of their misery.  I've been down the garden to see them this morning and they are looking a little worse.

The garden centre/farm where my warren was from still has a few hens left so I think I'll give it a few days and introduced a few more of those hens.  I'm really hoping that as they previously lived together this may minimalism any problems.

Thanks again for all the advice and support, there really is a lot to learn about poultry keeping.   

saffibaby

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 09:26 »
Thank you for your support, after having a very restless night I think the best thing to do would be to put my girls out of their misery.  I've been down the garden to see them this morning and they are looking a little worse.

The garden centre/farm where my warren was from still has a few hens left so I think I'll give it a few days and introduced a few more of those hens.  I'm really hoping that as they previously lived together this may minimalism any problems.

Thanks again for all the advice and support, there really is a lot to learn about poultry keeping.   
So sorry to hear this beth :(  Good luck for the future chook keeping tho xx

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40 »
My girls have gone, at least their not suffering now.  Thanks again for all the advice.

xx
I hope this works

Started by lotstodo on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 11:08
by lotstodo
xx
Noisy hen (really hope its a hen)

Started by Raven81 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 09:05
by Oliveview
xx
B****r (now with hope and piccies)

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 20:08
by Jellyhead
xx
picture of new chicks...I hope

Started by violet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 20:53
by Foxy

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 37 queries.