wet soil and weeds

• 3 Replies

Jimmy Splash

wet soil and weeds
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:41 »
i'm sat by plot right now. The soil is wet and its pointless pulling the weeds out by hand cos they break at the soil and the rest underneath. I've tried using a fork but thats doing nothing. Are the weeds actually going to grow anything at this time of year? Shall i cover the plot and leave it till next year?

Christine

Re: wet soil and weeds
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:19 »
Well if it's warm enough they will grow - it's certainly been muggy enough these last few days and yet to wet to weed as you say. Trouble is that I've still got crops in the plot.

The only thing that you can say is that if you dead head them this time of year, the weeds won't go to seed and come back next year. I see it as advance clearing.  ::)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 13:47 »
I am de-weeding at the moment. got about half of it left to do. it is difficult to do when its wet but i have no choice. best thing to do is dig out a big patch of soil, put it on top and then beat it with the fork to loosen the weeds and throw them away. afterwards just rake the soil to make it level.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 14:12 »
Generally at this time of the year if I need to weed between crops I use and large knife and cut the roots like a sythe rather than pull them up, once you get the knack its really quick and easier than a hoe. For large areas that are now empty I rake over, then dig over when it a little drier.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
What do weeds tell you about your soil

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2020, 00:01
by al78
xx
waste soil/weeds

Started by lanky lurcher on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 20:19
by WG.
xx
what fabric should i use to warm the soil and surpreess the weeds?

Started by slurp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 00:13
by pushrod
xx
Covering soil for winter to prevent weeds from growing. Do you recomend?

Started by Sturmovik on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 07:19
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.33 seconds with 36 queries.