A few niggles....

• 5 Replies

saffibaby

A few niggles....
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:16 »
Morning all!
Since Saturday things have progressed well with the chooks, so much so they are now pretty much free-ranging... I have removed all the dangerous plants from their area, but am a little concerned with the chooks obsession with Raspberry leaves? They have damn near stripped the bushes, are ignoring their pellets and are basically living on these leaves, slugs, snails, worms and a warm dish of porridge first thing - any fruit or greens I am scattering for them are being ignored...I am worrying too much? I have at least two that are laying, eggs are fine, no probs, just need a bit of re-assurance I think :( x

saffibaby

Re: A few niggles....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:22 »
Plus... am I being naive in thinking cats dont pose much of a problem for the girls? We dont own any cats but we do get the odd visitor passing through - should this concern me if the girls are out? Sorry to keep questioning  :unsure: x

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:41 »
I would not worry about the cats too much the hens will see them off. If you limit their free ranging to after noon you can make sure they fill up on pellets and limit the damage done to the garden. No leaves on the raspberries next year means no fruit for you or the hens.

saffibaby

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:48 »
I would not worry about the cats too much the hens will see them off. If you limit their free ranging to after noon you can make sure they fill up on pellets and limit the damage done to the garden. No leaves on the raspberries next year means no fruit for you or the hens.

Thanks 8doubles.... I guessed so about the cats, we have two dogs and both have received pecks to the nose to let them know who is boss - it worked!  ;)
I'm not too bothered about the raspberries, we can contain the bushes with fencing so the girls cant get to them - looks like hubby has another job on this afternoon :) x

rachelr

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:57 »
my hens are the bosses and regularly body slam the dogs and cats if they get too close.

I would agree with 8doubles stop the treats until they start eating the layers as that has all they need in the way off vitamins etc.

relax and enjoy

saffibaby

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:00 »
my hens are the bosses and regularly body slam the dogs and cats if they get too close.

I would agree with 8doubles stop the treats until they start eating the layers as that has all they need in the way off vitamins etc.

relax and enjoy
I love you guys!  ::)

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 36 queries.