Keep being bitten

• 6 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Keep being bitten
« on: October 04, 2010, 21:09 »
I am being bitten by something down the allotment I think.  The chickens had red mite but I seemed to kill them and treat regular to keep them at bay.  I think its the chickens as the home cat is free of flees etc. Also i am the only one suffering and no other members of the family has anything to do with the chickens.  I have read that you can treat the chickens with spot on for pidgeons.  Does any one know where I can acquire. Does it have to be vet authorised. If I cure chickens what else  do I have to do .  Treat car and house for flees mites etc.  Bites are 3 - 5mm and red ring with clear centre.  itch like mad. mostly ankles backs of knees.  a few on torso.  help please sending me crackers

:(
NOT ARF !

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: Keep being bitten
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 21:20 »
When I was at the vets the other day about my cockerel I noticed he had either lice or mites so I showed the vet and she gave me some Ivermectin which is general treatment for birds, hamsters etc. You just put a couple of drops on there back and leave it for a week before repeating it. I don't know if it needs a prescription since she just went and got some to give to me.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 21:21 »
Get some antihistamine to stop your itch, don't suffer, if you have them in the house you need to spray so I would treat the car too as for the spot on.

I've not had any experience with the chooks yet, sorry.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 21:26 »
If the antihistamine from over the counter does not work sufficiently ask your doctor for more powerful ones.

Ayupmeduck

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 22:12 »
Sounds like chiggers or harvest mite bites to me, we've been plagued this year. Very itchy and they take weeks to go completely. We found that jungle formula or similar spray around wrists and ankles and wellie bottoms too helped, along with showering as soon as possible after coming home and washing allotment clothes straight away. They seem to have settled down now which I'm glad about as they have really spoiled our enjoyment this year. Last year no problems so who knows why :nowink: I'd have a look on the net and see what you think if your getting bitten behind the knees and on your ankles along with groin and esp. waistbands and other close clothes fitting areas I'd be very suspicious of these. The adults are very conspicuous and I remember seeing lots in Spring and wondering what they were. Next Spring they will all get a revenge squash from the Thumb of Doom :D

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 22:39 »
Some years ago I thought my animals had fleas and treated everything time and again.  Eventually I went to the doctors, and it was an allergy, so maybe if no-one else is getting bitten :unsure: 

all the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Fluff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:14 »
Some years ago I thought my animals had fleas and treated everything time and again.  Eventually I went to the doctors, and it was an allergy, so maybe if no-one else is getting bitten :unsure: 

all the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs

Thanks Sue I am going down this root as well and visiting quack.  The fact no one else is suffering edges away from beasties theory

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 36 queries.