Size of your spuds

• 17 Replies

ruffmesiter_69

Size of your spuds
« on: July 17, 2007, 19:57 »
Hey guys was wondering what size of your ealry potatoes you have had this year with all the weird weather we've had.

One specimin was 750 grams for a new potatoe, we haven't even seen a main crop that size this year, how has yours been, bigger smaller, stranger or didnt even grow spuds, i would like to know.

News from the plot this week also includes, harvesting runner beans, raspberries, and salds. With good growth seen on the sqaushes, sweetcorn and the leeks.

Regards
Lottieblogs

Ice

• muck spreader
Size of your spuds
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 20:00 »
My new spuds are huge, the best ever.  Broad beans are nearly over but the runners are almost ready.  Perp spinach looking and tasting good too as is the salad patch.
Cheese makes everything better.

splodger

Size of your spuds
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 20:08 »
my first earlies; duke of york; were normal size - but in early out early.

my seconds; kestrel; were monsters - and alot off them (i shall def' be using these again next year)

charlottes were larger than normal as were the foremost - but not oversized.

my maincrop ; mafona; are biguns anyway - but i've taken them up early as there was blight on my site (although not on my plot)

Eddie Spud

Size of your spuds
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 21:21 »
MY SPUDS ARE ENORMOUS (Oo-er missus) But with a name like mine what would you expect!  :lol:
Seriously though I grew 'Charlottes' this year (first year ever) and I have had 7.45 kilos (16 1/2 lbs). This was from a small bag of seed potatoes that cost £4.00 in money. At the moment they are £1.00 per 500gms at the supermarket. By my reckoning we have had £10.90 worth of spuds free of charge from my garden. NOT BAD AY!  :o
Must get an allotment next year.   :D

shaun

Size of your spuds
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 21:29 »
my spuds are the biggest ever i can just get one in the wheel barrow  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

David.

Size of your spuds
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 21:32 »
Chicken manure works wonders for producing giant potatoes.

I got desirees to 1 Kg each last year.

shaun

Size of your spuds
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 21:35 »
i havnt dug any desiree yet david but i dug some winston(meant to be an early)last night and they are huge not many to a plant,about 5-6 per plant but they are big so at least the rain is doing a bit of good.

brucesgirl

Size of your spuds
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 21:35 »
I planted 3 charlottes in a tub and got 4.25 pounds from them, some of them were really big, but when we cooked them they fell to bits after 10 minutes, so will steam the rest.
We were really pleased as these were the first potatoes we've ever grown

ziggywigs

Size of your spuds
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 22:14 »
I've now started digging mine in any number.....Lady Christyl's not quite ready yet another month BUT my vanessa's which i'm growing for the first time this year are deeeelicious...not as tasty as LC but still worth the wait.

Managed to get 8 good sized new tatties off the first shaw of Vanessa's - rinsed under the tap and popped in the steamer....hmmmm.  :D

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
Size of your spuds
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 22:35 »
My Arran Pilots varied in size from tennis ball to marble size...I only wanted little 'uns too!

Oh well....about to start on the 2nd's this weekend..
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

wildeone

Size of your spuds
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 22:37 »
Quote from: "Eddie Spud"

Must get an allotment next year.   :D

Get your name down quick! Our waiting list here in colchester is about 4 years long!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Size of your spuds
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 23:09 »
Well out of the 314 earlies I happily dug up because they were looking a bit sad, and thought they might have a touch of blight.  I stored them in HUGE pots layered with clean dry shavings to keep them dry dark and separate from each other, only 66 were okay after under a week.  All the others had blight.

Tomorrow, it'll be 10 days since I chopped the tops off my Desiree, so it will be interesting to see what they are like.  I'll be devastated if I lose them all, it was bad enough losing the earlies, after all the hard work of digging the trenches and planting them, then taking 5 hours digging them out of the mud!!!    Oh Hum, such is life!  But size wise, if they'd been okay, they were quie decent sized for earlies!!!

I also had 3 tomato plants outside which looked blotchy too, so dug them up, but took the bad bits off my tumbling toms as I didnt want to lose all of them, and some of my indoor toms aren't looking too good eitehr, so I've been round them all chopping off the bottom leaves that were going yellow and brown, just in case!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Size of your spuds
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:35 »
my Charlotte are a fair size and brilliant.. The rocket at the plot.. 2 row x7m ruined all of them. I am gutted

crowndale

Size of your spuds
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 08:13 »
My friends lost all thier spuds due to the flooding and sitting in water for around a week.  I was lucky, only under water a copld of days though it's still really wet.  I am going to start digging up some desiree spuds this week, they are looking a bit sad now (dying back) so I hope are ready to dig.  my earlies (rocket) were new potatoe size, not monsters.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

pepper

• Experienced Member
Size of your spuds
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 08:20 »
I dug up a row of earlies yesterday because the slugs had eaten all the foliage. They ranged from tennis ball size to marbles. Must say though they tasted delicious - My first potatoes- I'm so proud. :!:  :D
monica

xx
What size to make a plot ? What size are your allotments ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 20:50
by Minty
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
Bed size

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 17:01
by milkman

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 36 queries.