Most valuable crop per unit area?

• 6 Replies

green_fingered_ash

Most valuable crop per unit area?
« on: October 04, 2010, 14:54 »
Are their any websites that indicate this as i want to get the most out of my allotment as possible (125sq/m)

any suggestions?

Springlands

Re: Most valuable crop per unit area?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 15:17 »
Cannot think of any websites that would be helpful but in her book Grow your own Vegetables, Joy Larkcom does give details on which crops gives a value for space rating for each crop.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 15:18 »
It would be foolish to grow anything at a financial loss over the long term, but also daft to grow things you don't like just because they are financially "rewarding."

Runner beans would top my value per square foot table, and courgettes are never cheap..............

I don't know of a website that does both yield and value (it would be a pretty subjective analysis) but the following very recent post includes a link to some yield information.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=66130.msg755313#msg755313

Here is another one which might make your calculations a bit easier but bear in mind it is based on US conditions which will almost certainly differ from yours:

http://usagardener.com/breaking_ground/plan_a_vegetable_garden.php
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 15:21 »
Jay beat me to it. No point growing what the family doesn't like. Value is only in what is useful to YOU. And what you'll eat regularly. Decide what you really want to eat, then check out the various ways to maximize yield. I found the Eliot Coleman books very useful for maximizing yield as he's mostly geared toward market gardening, but the same principles apply to home gardens.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 15:31 »
This is virtually a repeat of what was said in your other question here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=66130.msg755184#msg755184

For once we're consistent with the answers!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ex-cavator

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 18:51 »
As a relative newbie I can't answer that question, but talking to a seemingly knowledgeable gardner in his manor house garden recently, he told me that undoubtedly his most valuable crop per square metre was raspberries  ;)

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 20:00 »
Baby salad is a good valuable crop such as mixed salad, lettuce, spinach, mustards, pak choi, watercress etc. Over a quid for a small plastic bag in the supermarkets. Sow every fortnight or so from Spring through to Autumn and assuming you like salad you will save a fortune. Raddish and cucumber are also good money savers. Helps if you have a cold greenhouse, polytunnel or cloches in early spring / late autumn. Great to grow in containers.

xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
Starting a new area

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 20:56
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
My growing area

Started by Mosslane on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 20:56
by Mosslane
xx
Blight in the area

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 21:12
by Michael D

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 38 queries.