I would like to grow asparagus

• 6 Replies

Folger

I would like to grow asparagus
« on: October 03, 2010, 20:22 »
Im really sorry if tis has been asked before, but, got the t&m email today about onions, garlic and asparagus.

We have recently got our first plat, we have dug over some of it, although its quite waterlogged up there at the moment.  We ar enow coerig the rest with sheeting to deal with the weeds.

I would like to grow asparagus but have no idea about it as a veg.  Does it yeild year after year, so once planted thats it and it elf seeds or send out shoots like strawberrys?

Also is this the right time of year to be planting it?

I'm looking at the T&M 25 crowns, what would you expect this to yeild, I understand we woul dhave to leave it for 2 years before harvesting is that right?

Many thanks for any help

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: I would like to grow asparagus
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 20:41 »
Once planted, yes it does yield year after year in the same place.  It doesn't self seed or send out runners.

It is recommended that you don't harvest at all in the first year after planting, only a couple of spears in year two, and then should be OK from year three after planting.  If you take some spears early, you damage the long-term vigour of the plant.

Not sure about time of year for planting or yield from 25 plants as I don't grow it.

Here's the main website page about asparagus
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/aparagus/index.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Folger

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 20:44 »
Thank you very much for that I appreciate it

Ilovesproutsbest

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 22:10 »
I grew 20 asparagus plants from seed last year.18 survived the winter and I put them in big pots this year.Next year I intend to put them in a big sand bag from the builders merchant ,since I have heard they don`t like weeds and our garden is infested with mare`s tail.........arrrrrrrrgh!

I didn`t realise how tall the plants would grow and they almost obliterated the view from my living room window!

Another silly thing I did was forget what variety I grew.....

Ah well,next year I intend to take a couple of spears from each plant and see how they taste.Time flies,a few years spent waiting is truly no time at all. :)

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:57 »
I think of asparagus as kind of like a fruit tree: really well  prepared bed (two trailer loads of horse poo in 2 trenches); expensive to buy as plants and heaps cheaper  :D but a year longer if you grow them yourself from seed; not much harvest for the first 2 years; should "fruit" for 20 years or longer; dormant in winter and up to 3 metres tall in summer; best "fresh from the tree/ground :lol:.

I'm now in year 5 of my bed and expect to harvest for 3 whole months (from start of Oct to Christmas) this year, having been very restrained for the last few years year 1: no harvest, year 2: 2 weeks, year 3: 3 weeks, year 4: 6 weeks).

Again, like fruit trees, you need to be in one place for a while to make it worthwhile )or hope you inherit someone else patch :lol:)

Pip

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:57 »
I have an asparagus bed of plants of mixed varieties and age (mainly because the ones grown from seed weren't very successful.)
The best producing plants are at least 6 years old and really only achieved that this year!  :wacko:

I think that is because I cheated a bit by harvesting a few spears from the second year onwards when I really should have left them completely alone to build themselves up.

In my experience 3 years (from crowns) is the absolute minimum before you should consider taking a proper harvest.

They are usually planted in spring; I don't think plonking them into cold wet soil at this time of year will do them much good, and if your soil is waterlogged you need to spend some time providing somewhere better drained (raised?) and possibly lighter (manure and sand?) as well.

If you love asparagus it's all worth it though!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:14 »
All the information you need is on http://www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk/index.html in their grow your own section.

They sell 1 year old plants and dispatch them in the Spring. They lift them in March but hold them in cold store and can dispatch them for planting up until May.

Some of the dutch varieties such as Gijnlim are all male plants and produce no berries. These varieties can also be picked for a short period in the first year.

xx
Can you recommend which Asparagus to grow?

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 19:10
by Kristen
xx
Asparagus - Which variety to grow?

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 19:08
by Yorkie
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 38 queries.