collecting seeds

• 11 Replies

dawnfuller

collecting seeds
« on: September 30, 2010, 23:15 »
French marigolds  ?
Can I keep the heads to dry off in the greenhouse ??
Then use for next year?

TheSpartacat

Re: collecting seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 23:28 »
Yup, I've done it! Sometimes the germinated plants don't quite turn out like the parent, if they are hybrids... but they can still come up lovely.

I am growing cosmos daisies from seed i saved last year, and this years ones are bigger, and have WAY more flowers than any cosmos daisies I've ever grown!!
My calendula/pot marigolds are all 3rd generation from yearly seed saving.

dawnfuller

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 19:46 »
Thankyou xxx

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 20:03 »
Yup, I've done it! Sometimes the germinated plants don't quite turn out like the parent, if they are hybrids... but they can still come up lovely.

I am growing cosmos daisies from seed i saved last year, and this years ones are bigger, and have WAY more flowers than any cosmos daisies I've ever grown!!
My calendula/pot marigolds are all 3rd generation from yearly seed saving.

I have some great Cosmos this year and they are still in bloom. How would I collect the seeds, do I cut off the flower heads now or wait it they are dead. Sorry to sound dumb :( :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 20:08 »
Not dumb at all, Dirt Diver.  I'd like to know the answer too!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 20:51 »
Leave the flowers to set seed, then just before they are fully ripe...pick the seed heads and bring them in and place in an envelope...don't forget to lable them ;)
When they are fully dry you should be able to shake the seed heads/pods and the seeds will drop out :)

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 07:42 »
The good news about saving your own seed is that over time (4 years or 4 generations is the rule), you are adapting that vegetable or flower for your microclimate.  Which means, problems of hybrids aside, that the plant should get better and better for you.  Ie better in your light sandy soil, happier in your late wet springs, etc. 

One thing to watch though, is that you save seed from the best plants, not the first ones to set seed.  It's very tempting to look at the comos and think "oh look, there's some seed already, I'll keep that" but all you would be doing is selecting for a short flowering period!  If, on the other hand, you have a short summer, repeatedly saving seed from something like the first tomato plant to fruit (which again is selecting for early/short flowering period) means you are adapting that tomato to your short summer.  And your friends and neighbours will love you for it! :D :D

Pip

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 01:41 »
Am I not right that sometimes. with plants such as sweet-peas, you can lose the colour / scent that first attracted you to that particular strain?

Cross pollination seems to cause sweet peas grown from several years of saved seed to eventually end up very much poorer colours.... appearing to revert to a dull homogeneous purple.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:15 »

I have some great Cosmos this year and they are still in bloom. How would I collect the seeds, do I cut off the flower heads now or wait it they are dead. Sorry to sound dumb :( :(

Or do as I did - nothing! I got a great display from my last year's self seeded Cosmos in my spuds this year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:41 »

Or do as I did - nothing! I got a great display from my last year's self seeded Cosmos in my spuds this year.

It could catch on  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:44 »
You have to be very careful when hilling up, though!

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 09:48 »
You have to be very careful when hilling up, though!

I bet  :blink: I often pile grass mowings over my spuds once the first / second earthing-up is complete.  ;)

xx
wild meadow seeds/wildflower seeds

Started by trapper on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 17:15
by trapper
xx
veg seeds

Started by gaynorthegardener on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 25, 2007, 13:49
by gaynorthegardener
xx
Where do you buy your seeds?

Started by Porffor on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 22:28
by DD.
xx
Old seeds

Started by Stree on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 14:22
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.