Fruit Trees

• 10 Replies

AndyP

• Flickr Album
Fruit Trees
« on: September 28, 2010, 21:49 »
I'm after a fruit tree or two for my new allotment and came across this:
http://www.gardenbargains.com/item-500131/mini-orchard-collection-with-free-cherry.htm?Media=GGOOGLE&gclid=CJOjoN36qqQCFQGY2AodEA5H4g
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this retailer and if you think this is a good deal- it seems like it to me, but I'm new and naive!
Thanks
Andy
Someone has been dumping soil on my allotment at night. I don't know who it is. The plot thickens.

Spana

Re: Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 22:34 »
Never had anything from them myself but they do sell on one of the shopping chanels on tv,  think its 22 I've seen them on.  Looks ok on the screen :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 22:39 »
Read this thread
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=64852.0

And this thread too
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=49451

for some comments on whether the trees will work on your site.

Also, double check that you are in fact allowed trees on your site.  On some they are banned because they cast shade over neighbouring plots, compete too much for the moisture and nutrients, and restrict growing possibilities for future tenants.  If you have a small / half plot, you are unlikely to be able to grow much if you also have 4 fruit trees
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Elaine G

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 23:19 »
Andy thank you for asking my question!
It is a very tempting offer, but Ken Muir says Braeburn is unsuitable for the north.

Also am I right in thinking that each one would need another as a pollinator?

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

AndyP

• Flickr Album
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 23:34 »
Thanks for the tips Yorkie. My plot is 8m by 20m so I think I should be ok space-wise. It says on the video about planting them in 30litre containers too...so maybe that's an option?

Regarding pollination, I don't know. Again, according to Ken Muir Braeburn and conference pear are both pollination group C...does that mean they can pollinate from each other? There are other plots with fruit trees on it my allotments too so maybe these would help to pollinate?

paintedlady

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 04:49 »
Conference pears are "self fertile" so don't really need another tree for pollination - however, having 2 conference pear trees will increase the chances of fruit setting.  As far as I know, a pear will not pollinate an apple tree  ;)

As regards apple trees, as you are aware they come into different pollinating groups so if you are limited by space, go for a self fertile variety - like the conference pears, having a pollinating partner however, will increase the chance of fruit setting.  As you said, you might find there are pollinating partners already dotted around on site and bees will find them for you.  When I planted a load of fruit trees in my garden, I realised too late that the varieties I had got would not pollinate a Bramley that I had bought and was amazed to find fruit that first year ... turns out there are a couple of Bramleys three houses away  :D

Maybe this chart will help about which varieties can pollinate each other http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Apple-Tree-Pollination

I can highly recommend getting fruit trees on semi dwarf stock - they won't grow into towering trees and affect neighbouring plots and are much more manageable, but not too small that they become patio novelties (besides which trees in pots need a lot more attention especially watering during the summer)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

AndyP

• Flickr Album
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 13:41 »
Gosh. I didn't think buying a fruit tree was going to be this complicated!

I'm a little bit annoyed at the website selling the 'mini orchard' trees for not mentioning anything about pollination. I even watched the video whee it explains you will get bumper crops for 40 or 50 years! There doesn't appear to be any way of contacting them either to query them over this!

So I'm thinking what I'm best off doing is forgetting pear and plums and going for two apple trees of different varieties that will pollinate each other (same, or neighbouring pollination groups). Dont think I have the room for 6 or 8 trees!

Now... Next thing to decide is which varieties!?! I like Braeburn apples but as has been said they apparantly not good up North. So any suggestions? I like sweet apples like Braeburn, gala or golden delicious and am not really a fan of more bitter varieties like granny smith.

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 15:16 »
My sister-in-law purchased shrubs from this company, they weren't top quality!!! ::)
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 16:18 »
I know what my 2 favourite dessert apple trees are:

On my allotment plot there is an established Empire apple tree - http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/empire_variety.aspx  Not big apples, but are sweet & crunchy & lovely straight off the tree (after a quick spit wash).  It's virtually had no maintenance for years and is very productive and seems to be disease & pest free.  It is partially self fertile, group C pollination group.  Harvesting tends to be about Octoberish.

My best apple tree at home has to be the Discovery - self fertile but also the same pollination group as the Empire, the apples are ready about mid-August.  Do keep an eye on the apples because one day there's a tree full of apples, next all on the ground  ::)  This tree just gets better every year exceeding the previous year's crop  http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/product.aspx?id=DISCOV  I bought this tree on semi dwarf root stock from B&Q and it's been fine.

Elaine G

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 19:44 »
My sister-in-law purchased shrubs from this company, they weren't top quality!!! ::)

Thank you Coach that is exactly what I was worried about. Will look elsewhere then even if it means I can only afford one!

Elaine

andy135

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 22:05 »
I've just taken another half plot and I'm planning fruit for next year but I'm going to wait and see what netto/aldi/lidl/tesco/b&m have on offer in the spring. This year the goosberries bushes were up for £1.99 but I didn't have the ground to put them in.

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 37 queries.