weed killer recommendations please

• 14 Replies

cakemaker

weed killer recommendations please
« on: September 26, 2010, 17:31 »
Hello everyone, I am very new to all this as my OH is the gardener in the family. Due to his recent ill health , our allotment is weed filled and I would like to help and surprise him by making a start on clearing the weeds. Can anyone recommend a weed killer that I could perhaps use that wouldn't harm any future crops that we would like to grow please.
I am sure I will have lots more questions to ask but one step at a time and I do hope I have posted in the correct place. Please forgive me if its not.

Sue :)

Goosegirl

Re: weed killer recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 17:41 »
A systemic weedkiller at this time of year won't do, although Weedol will kill annual weeds like grass etc. I would get plenty of cardboard and newspaper or plastic sheeting and cover the area, then you can lift one bit at a time and dig - get friends around to help and do them dinner or a takeaway as a thank you.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lee1978

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 17:54 »
You may still get away with Roundup as the weeds are still growing. this does not have any residual effect as it is systemic ;)

Good luck
Lee

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 20:39 »
as above, round up if your quick, it is de-activated on contact with soil so it wont harm your next crops
first year grower

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 20:52 »
Consider Resolva.

http://www.resolva-weeds.com/how-does-it-work/

Contains an "instant" weedkiller and Glyphosate. Knocks the top back quickly whilst working on the roots. Turned my nettles black in about 18 hours, but don't expect it to work quite as fast at this time of year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ropster

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 21:37 »
yes roundup would probably do the job, but at this time of year I would just cover it and leave it over winter

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 21:49 »
Covering will not kill perennial roots. They are about to enter dormancy, ready to pop up next year, unless they are given something to think about.

Either in the way of weedkiller, or yanked out  by digging.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 23:38 »
If we presume that OH is a good gardener there will be no perennial weeds and covering with black plastic sheet or thick cardboard for the Winter would be a good way to go. I personally think this is the way to go anyway. Deal with any perennial weeds when you lift the sheet next Spring.

If there are perennial weeds then either Resolva or Roundup should kill them. These will still work now and well into the Winter but the problem is finding a day when there will be 6 hours of dry weather after application. Both these products specify that 6 hours are necessary.

Resolva is a mixture of a dessicant (diquat) and a plant poison (glyphosate). Diquat is what knocks the leaves quickly and glyphosate, which is what is in Roundup, kills the roots. There is some very clever chemistry in there which stops the dessicating action intefering with the takeup of glyphosate.

I can see that it would be easy to apply Resolva when there are not 6 dry hours and see the leaves burned off thinking the job is done when only the diquat element has worked. Has anyone experienced this?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 23:48 by Salmo »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 08:08 »
I can see that it would be easy to apply Resolva when there are not 6 dry hours and see the leaves burned off thinking the job is done when only the diquat element has worked. Has anyone experienced this?

That would then be the user's fault for not following the instructions.

I can only say that I've used Resolva as per the instructions in conjunction with a dry period.

It's blooming good stuff. For me it did what it says on the tin (packet).

prakash_mib

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 14:12 »
I would personally advice you have a very vague, out of interest, general chat with your OH about using weedkillers. He could have been organic man and your actions may seriously upset him. remember! if he was a good gardener he would love his plot and doesnt want any "bad" things to happen to it (even if it is done with good intentions).
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 15:56 »
I would personally advice you have a very vague, out of interest, general chat with your OH about using weedkillers. He could have been organic man and your actions may seriously upset him. remember! if he was a good gardener he would love his plot and doesnt want any "bad" things to happen to it (even if it is done with good intentions).

Some very wise words there Prakash  :)

If it's only annual weeds on the plot, then a couple of hours with the hoe will make quite a big difference to how it looks  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

JohnB47

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 17:37 »
I would absolutely agree with the 'cover it up and dig over gradually' approach.

It's amazing how well it works. I'm really glad that I discovered some massive green sheets under my (new) overgrown plot. They're obviously designed for covering and can really keep things in check until I get around to digging.

I'm no angel when it comes to weedkiller but I  try to use it extremely sparingly (i.e. by occasionally spot painting using a small brush - never using a watering can and spraying is just unthinkable).

Baz

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 17:47 »
I go round my plot spraying weedkiller a couple of times a year, before cultivation, and so do most of the other plot holders here
Baz.........
Mostly organic...

JohnB47

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 19:39 »
Wow! :ohmy:

peterjf

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 22:49 »
we do the same as baz , well done baz

xx
weed killer

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 17:49
by Jonajo
xx
weed killer

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 12:12
by cawdor2001
sad
Help with weed killer

Started by What Allot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 07:24
by Faz
xx
which weed killer?

Started by hebridean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 21:11
by hebridean

Page created in 0.605 seconds with 37 queries.