Bleeding by the claw

• 5 Replies

stujem

Bleeding by the claw
« on: September 25, 2010, 17:32 »
One of my chickens has cut it's foot right by it's claw, not running out, but has the odd bit of blood from it. She does not seem to care, does any body know if it will stop by itself. Will the other chickens (I have 3 in total) start to attack the hen?
Stu

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Bleeding by the claw
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 17:35 »
if you have no wound powder sprinkle a little bit of cornflour onto it - this will stop it bleeding and dry it up  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

stujem

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 17:41 »
Thank you joyfull, I did sprinkle a bit of red mite power on to claw, only a bit as I was dusting there box and bedding etc. I hope this is ok.  I have just dip fer foot in the corn flower, it is still bleeding a bit, so hopefully it will stop by bed time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 18:00 by stujem »

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 13:06 »
If it's the claw that is bleeding I always use to have a styptic pencil (Spelling???) handing when cutting my cockateils nails in case I caught the quick.  I think they are used by men if they cut themselves shaving.... I guess you can use them on a hen.

stujem

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 22:20 »
All seems ok now, I only let them out today for about 30 minutes today while I moved there run and house to fresh grass/weeds. I did not want her to loosen her claw, I'll wait for a few days just in case.

Elaine J

• Work = Organic Dairy Farming
    • www.2rr.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:42 »
We had this problem yesterday, we noticed that one of our new ex-batts was bleeding, and quite heavily, gawd knows how she'd done it!  ::)  
We tried the Cornflour method, but the blood just kept coming, and quite fast.  :ohmy:
After about 30mins of trying with the cornflour we gave up and used the fag lighter out of the car to cauterise it. I have to say, I really wasn't looking forward to this, but it stopped the bleeding immediately, and she didn't seem at all bothered by it, so I'm guessing it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be?

She went straight back to scratching around as normal, and it hasn't bled since, so all's well that ends well.  8)

I thought I'd just share this emergency technique with you, for cases where the cornflour has no effect.

Elaine.  :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:45 by Lotus Elaine »

xx
Hen with broken claw.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 16:56
by New shoot
xx
Lost a claw?

Started by theclampitts on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 21:41
by theclampitts
xx
Blood from claw

Started by jennie hennie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 19:00
by ANHBUC
xx
hen with claw problem

Started by jennyr265 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 19:09
by jennyr265

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 37 queries.