Sweetcorn question

• 4 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn question
« on: September 23, 2010, 19:25 »
My sweetcorn doesn't seemed to have ripened yet. Just opened one up and it is still pale in colour. It is too late for any further ripening? This is only the second attempt at growing and wasn't too successful last year also.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweetcorn question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 20:14 »
my dad tells me that a way to see if sweet corn is ready for picking is that once the male flower at the top dries, the cob is a good size (think something about firmness was mentioned as well  ??? ) and the hair sprouting out of the cob dries to a dark colour then its a sure sign to pick them without taking off the outer skin of cob to see which can damage the cob from insects. i have pulled all mine out. sadly not had a good year for sweet corn compared to last year's growth. think i was lacking nutrients in the soil to be honest.

i grow them in pots first in a small green house until they are at least 4 inches tall and then plant them outside in April and pick in August/September. think it gives them a fighting chance to grow better than sown direct.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 20:18 »
It may be poor pollination.....on ours only one cob ripened per plant,I think because it was really windy the whole time the tops were dropping pollen....result was that none of the lower cobs got any pollen.

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 20:33 »
i only picked mine yesterday and i still have plenty to come
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 20:37 »
It may be poor pollination.....on ours only one cob ripened per plant,I think because it was really windy the whole time the tops were dropping pollen....result was that none of the lower cobs got any pollen.

If the kernels are there, then it's not a pollination, but a ripening issue, which it appears to be. Just keep your fingers crossed for a  bit of Autumn sunshine.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Question about sweetcorn

Started by Ricco_T on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 08:54
by JayG
xx
sorry another sweetcorn question

Started by poohpouri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 23:45
by poohpouri
xx
Sweetcorn question.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 14:16
by Kristen
xx
SweetCorn Question

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 08:37
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 1.167 seconds with 36 queries.