Weird tomato problem

• 3 Replies

oldcow

• Experienced Member
Weird tomato problem
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:22 »
I have one tomato plant that is growing in a different container from all the other ones. They're next to each other, and same type of soil, but the "lonely" one is in a bed twice as deep as the other one (so I thought it would do better than the other ones). In the rest of this deeper bed I have aubergines and peppers, that have done wonderfully. However, the fruits on the tomato plants are extremely tough. The get to the size and deep red of a mature tomato, but they stay so hard that they're basically not edible. If left on the plant, they eventually start to "wrinkle" as tomatoes do when they're way past their prime, but inside they're still hard. The same variety on the other bed has produced a ton of lovely tomatoes.
Has anybody had this problem? Maybe it's just a bad plant (I suppose that heirloom plants can go wrong sometimes), or could it be that being surrounded by aubergines is not good for tomatoes?

Trillium

Re: Weird tomato problem
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 02:40 »
Sounds like, despite the seed supplier's best efforts, one plant was pollinated by another, not particularly nice variety. It happens to the best of us. Often in breeding hybrid plants, two not necessarily nice plants are pollinated together to produce a much finer offspring, which is possibly what happened with your heirloom plant. It's very hard to control bees and such so there's really nothing you can do about that one. Next year will probably be fine.

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:17 »
What's the variety?

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:56 »
I can see $$$ here :D :D :D :D Quick save the seed & sell to Monsanto or similar.  One person's freak is another person's commercial dream!

=Pip

clip
Weird deformation of tomato plant

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 19:42
by LotuSeed
xx
Tomato Problem

Started by M_Mike on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 21:46
by gobs
xx
Tomato problem

Started by oldbean on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 21:36
by Jay The Digger
xx
Do I have a tomato problem?

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 10:52
by savbo

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 36 queries.