litter for a shed?

• 13 Replies

boybrown

litter for a shed?
« on: September 22, 2010, 21:22 »
Hi folks, slowly making progress on re-building a shed to get chooks again. I'm unsure about what needs to be on the floor. They will have access to the shed all the time but will have an outside covered large run too.  Do I need to put litter in the shed?  It's an 8 by 6 foot and I will have between 4 and six girls in there.  I will be putting a tray under the perches to catch the roosting poo but I imagine that they will enjoy spending some time inside when the weathers cold and in the mornings if it's light before we open the hatch to the run.

Any ideas would really help. I've seen some suggestions for litter but they seem to be for chickens that are kept inside all the time. If there are tips then could people put where I can get them from please?

cheers

tom  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: litter for a shed?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 22:14 »
All my hen houses have got shavings down, and all my hens have access to outside too.  What I did last year in my biggest house was to nail a plank of wood from one side to the other and filled it with sand as a big dustbath. Then if it was raining the girls used to have a nice dry dustbath inside.

The only problem was they used to poo in it too and chuck shavings in there and feathers when they moulted, so I didn't bother the second year, just shavings all over the floor.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 22:42 »
Hi.  I judst have dust extracted savings on my shed floor.

One point to think about.  6ft by 8ft is a very large shed for just 4 hens.  Will they get cold in the winter as I thought that is they were close together they kept each other warm...

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 23:19 »
A friend of mine has a 6 by 8 shed with 5 in, she has put up a shelf half way up and half way towards the door with a walk way/ladder up to the top 'shelf', she often finds eggs have been laid up ther too. She has shavings on both levels, annnnd plenty of room for more?

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 23:25 »
Mine have access to their coop (a shed) throughout the day but only use it to lay eggs and roost at night, even when it is foul weather - go figure, eh!

I use "Bed Down" on the floor, a nice 4 inch deep layer. It is a horse bedding made from chopped straw, dust-extracted wood shavings and smells really nice! I have found this softer and more absorbent than hemp. When they jump down from the roosts or the nest box, the soft floor litter helps to avoid minor foot injuries which could lead to bumblefoot.

As for the large shed area for only a few chooks, you could always have a movable "wall" section that you can use to close off an area so they are cosier and more confined in winter. This could be just a tarp hung on hooks. They will snuggle up for warmth though.

Main thing is to make sure that the ventilation is above their roosting head level, as draughts are the main danger for getting cold.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 23:39 »
Hi.  I judst have dust extracted savings on my shed floor.

One point to think about.  6ft by 8ft is a very large shed for just 4 hens.  Will they get cold in the winter as I thought that is they were close together they kept each other warm...

They will snuggle up together and keep each warm anyway Kym.  They have their own little duvets! :D

I know some people don't think coops should be big enough for hens to wander around in, but each to his own!  :D

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 00:16 »
That is quite right, chooks are pretty hardy! Mine had a full moult in deep snowy midwinter last year and lost half their duvet at once! They survived  :nowink:

jamima

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:40 »
i have several dustbin loads of shavings from our logs from the logburner am going to start using them now. :)

evie2

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:55 »
Always used shaving up until recently, now using Bliss which is chopped rape stocks with Eucalyptus oil.  It's very easy to keep clean and breaks down quicker in the compost.  More importantly the chickens seem happy with it :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 15:23 »
Bliss sounds the same as rapport which is made by the same company as hemcore.
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 15:33 »
I'm sure it is Joyful and Bliss is just the product/company name

boybrown

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 19:30 »
Hi folks, 

These are are really helpful suggestions. What type of place can I get these from i.e garden centre?

Cheers

Tom  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 19:41 »
I get my hemcore and rapport from my local pet store - they also sell equestrian stuff and both hemcore and rapport  are horse bedding, as is aubiose another similar bedding  :)

evie2

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 20:25 »
I get mine from the mill where I get the chicken food or as Joyfull says an equestrian store.

xx
Cat litter

Started by JaK on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 10:03
by JaK
xx
Deep Litter - I'm not getting it

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 23:06
by Foxy
xx
The Value of Deep Litter

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post January 23, 2024, 09:20
by spud
xx
What is a deep litter system - HELP PLEASE

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 04:43
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 37 queries.