Mushy layers pellets?!

• 8 Replies

Mildredsmum

Mushy layers pellets?!
« on: September 22, 2010, 16:13 »
Hello,
I'm new here and new to chickens. I got mine 4 days ago and they have settled in nicely, laid an egg each day (they are warrens) and respond to me calling them so I think I'm starting to build up a bond with them!
The 2nd day in a gave them some meal worms as a little treat and yesterday and today I noticed that they weren't eating their layers pellets. Last night, when I was removing their water feeder to change the water, some had dripped onto the pellets they had thrown out and gone mushy. To my surprise, they gobbled these down, so this morning I decided to soften some up and sure enough, they went down in a flash.
I want to make sure they are getting the right nutrients, but is this ok? I noticed one of them didn't lay an egg today and now I'm worried she either hasn't been getting the right nutrients or the mushy pellets have made her ill.
Can anyone put my mind at rest? Also, I've not seen them going to their grit box-how often do they pick up grit? I had been scattering some in their run so they could forage.
Many thanks.

8doubles

Re: Mushy layers pellets?!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 16:26 »
Hi Mildredsmum and welcome to the forum.
No problem with making a porridge with layers pellets as long as they eat them all and the feeder is kept clean as they will be inclined to go mouldy. A lot of chook owners mix pellets and hot water to give the hens a warm treat in frosty weather.

Mildredsmum

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 16:40 »
Thank you for that, that's eased my mind! Yes I noticed the bowl got very messy and the chickens' faces!) so will alternate bowls between feeding and cleaning.
Is it common for egg production to start dwindling now? Was I just extra lucky getting an egg from each for the first 3 days?

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 16:54 »
Hens will often stop laying for a few days till they settle into their new homes, the eggs you got were 'on the production line' before the move and could not be stopped.
Nothing to worry about.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 22:02 »
some of mine love their pellets made into a thick mush especially the ex batts - they think they are getting a real treat when I do this, however remove it daily and if there is any left over chuck it as it can go mouldy quickly and lead to illnesses.
Staffies are softer than you think.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 00:24 »
Re: grit - they will eat what they need, don't worry.

Also offer free choice one of either oyster shell/limestone flour/cuttlefish if you can. I found that the calcium added to layers pellets wasn't enough for good hard shells.

Mine also love porridge from time to time, especially in winter, made from oats and water. I also add any kitchen scraps to this and they go mad for it. They never seem to mind mixing grapes with beef trimmings, or fish with strawberries! Mine free range too so have a very varied diet and make lovely creamy orange egg yolks.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:30 »
A layers meal or mash form of the feed is also available, which saves you mashing down the pellets. It is already in powder form - just add water. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

evie2

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:19 »
Hello Mildredsmum, I just add hot water to some layers, give it a stir around, let it cool then prepare to be mugged by the chooks :lol:  All the veg trimmings are kept to be cooked in the veg water from our food and they gobble that down too, that's if they can get Queenie off the dish, they like to drink the veg water as well :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

grumpydad

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:31 »
ideal way to get flubenvet into them, they think the soft pellets are a treat and it goes down very quickly. add a bit of tinned sweetcorn, and watch the meal fly !!! we use a large dog bowl, and they keep coming back during the day, and by the evening there is very little left.
they still have layers meal in the run.

xx
layers pellets

Started by TINTIN on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 21:38
by BestBreast
xx
Age for layers pellets

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 08:34
by Sassy
question
Layers pellets

Started by Holyfishcakes on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 15:39
by Holyfishcakes
xx
Layers pellets or other?

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 16:04
by Brambles

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 37 queries.