Slow cooker recipes

• 32 Replies

wannagrowveg

Re: Slow cooker recipes
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 19:04 »
I work full time and mine does my dinners most nights except tonight when I had a plate of runner beans and mint gravy yum from a friends lottie  :)

Allsorts of casseroles from curry to meat and veg hearty stews nothing better in the winter :)

Yesterday I forgot to get the mince out for the chilli so I bunged it in frozen with the sauce in the morning hey presto lovely chilli when I walked in.

Be imaginative you wont go wrong  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 19:18 »
Yesterday I forgot to get the mince out for the chilli so I bunged it in frozen with the sauce in the morning hey presto lovely chilli when I walked in.

Glad this worked out OK for you but, generally, this should be avoided.  All the slow cooker books I've read specifically caution against adding frozen meat to the cooker.  The temperatures don't get hot enough quickly enough to kill bacteria during the thawing & cooking process.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wayne170534

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 19:41 »
oh i've just remmembered reading this i have a slow cooker in the cupboard, might have to dust it off for the weekend, thanks for the memory jolt
wayne
it wasnt me i didnt touch it!

madcat

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 20:02 »
Now is the perfect time ... mine is simmering a stock as I type ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 20:14 »
They had a reduced joint of mutton in Asda....and I lurve mutton....so it I had it braising all day on a bed of carrots and onions...........it was scrummy  ;)

wannagrowveg

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 23:19 »

Glad this worked out OK for you but, generally, this should be avoided.  All the slow cooker books I've read specifically caution against adding frozen meat to the cooker.  The temperatures don't get hot enough quickly enough to kill bacteria during the thawing & cooking process.

Thanks for the tip yorkie but ive yet to poison my family. i can assure you after 7 hrs in there it was well cooked!

chrissie B

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 06:56 »
i love lamb in the slow cooker its such a forgiving way to cook if you get held up you know your food wont be spoilt
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 21:24 »
never had one, but planning to invest in one in the next few weeks, have started a full time degree course and thought home cooked meals would have to take a back seat for a while, reassured by all the post on here that I will be able to keep serving up homecooked food throughout the coming year. Thinking lots of soups and stews!! yummy can't wait

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 21:51 »
Make sure you get one which is a decent size - you can make a large pot and then freeze parts to be used later in the week.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 00:24 »
The slow cooker is the BEST investment i've ever made!!!
And i totally second the brisket!! It melts in the mouth, and is SO tasty.
In fact, all the cheaper cuts of meat often have way more flavour when you can leave them to cook while you do other things.

I like to do Oxtail in mine for a really hearty Winter soup.
Lamb shoulders do really nice cooked slow.
Rabbit stew if you aren't a Watership Down fan.
A really nice slow cook chilli is great in Winter too, perfect to come home to after a day down the lotty!!
Stewing steak in Guinness with onions and mushrooms... (oh gosh, I'm hungry)

You can make stock in them... i use my veg peelings and even use onion skins in my stock- leave it to slow cook for a few hours... (but only in Winter, because in the Summer, the compost heap takes first priority over my veg peelings!!)

Does yours have a 'keep warm' function? Those are really handy- mine has a timer, and then switches to 'keep warm' so even if i'm out of the house for the whole day, I can come home to a nice dinner waiting for me!

Spana

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 12:51 »
And i totally second the brisket!! It melts in the mouth, and is SO tasty.

After reading that, went and got a lump from the freezer. :happy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 13:07 »
whenever I mentioned getting some brisket to my oh he always said he didn't like it but as we had half a dexter in the freezer I just decided to slow cook some brisket and in the middle of him eating it I asked him if he liked the meat. He replied mmmm yes, when I told him it was brisket he said it was nothing like the horrible brisket his mum used to cook  :) No idea what she did to it but now he is a convert  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 14:07 »

Get down to your butchers and ask for some brisket of beef

We love brisket, dont know why people dont buy it more.  I nice big piece from a good butcher is just the best.

We are beef produces so i can take my pick from our own cattle and i would swap all the sirloin joints for brisket anyday :happy: Cooked real slow you cant beat it :happy:

Have to agree - a nice piece of brisket done in the slow cooker is my favourite joint.  My mother used to put onions, carrots etc into the slow cooker then put water and some stock cubes in until it just covered the meat. It would go on early evening on Saturday, taken out beautfilly cooked before lunch on Sunday, placed in a large bowl with a plate and weights on top and pressed so compact the meat.  All covered in cloths to keep it warm.  The gravy is second only to a bit of skin beef for taste.  I've followed her method since she died and it works every time.

Brisket is a cheaper cut of meat and not necessarily as tender as some but trust me, done this way it is fabulous.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 17:14 »
I have to admit I've always avoided that type of joint. No matter how slowly I cook it, there's always gristle and fat in it, and I'm just kind of squeamish about that, hate biting down on it.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 17:40 »
No grissle or fat this way.  My other half is extremely fussy (gets it from his mother who cuts fat off boiled ham with scissors) but he loves this recipe.  Honestly.

xx
Slow Cooker recipes?

Started by Sideways on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 14:47
by noshed
xx
Slow Cooker recipes

Started by clarebear on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 27, 2007, 21:35
by Sally A
xx
Slow cooker gammon recipes

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 17:28
by Elcie
xx
Adjusting recipes for slow cooker

Started by Springlands on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2014, 17:08
by Springlands

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 29 queries.