instead of manure?

• 28 Replies

rachelr

Re: instead of manure?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 12:26 »
Also dont forget freecycle. Sone one on here suggested it to me I put a wanted pooh ad on and got loads of people willing for me to take theirs lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 12:34 »
I hope it wasn't quite theirs :ohmy:  :lol:

RichG

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 13:26 »
Knock knock !!

Whos there ??

Smelihorsp

:D :D :D :) :) :)

Ill let everyone finish the joke !!

Someone at my site just had a large pile of fresh horse muck for £20 delivered from one of the local farms/stables. I was going to go and get some but the thought of transfering it in bags in the car and the smell  :ohmy:

Going to get some and spread it over the site. Try freegle as others have mentioned, there's bound to be a stables somewhere close.

GreenOwl

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 13:40 »
We have council compost delivered every so often.  We're a new site and someone rang up and they were delighted to deliver 6 tons free.  Unfortunately then the other local sites heard about it and got on the band wagon so we haven't had as much as we'd have liked.

Its not got the nutrients of manure but will add to your soil structure.  You could see if its available in your area. 

We've also got a volunteer green composting scheme.  They charge £1.50 a sack but its still a lot cheaper than a garden centre.

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 16:15 »
im only 22 awsell and sometimes get the feeling that every move i make and every plant i plant are been watched and dont even get the old boys started on my bed system with grass paths in between i could get anther 2 rows in every bed if it wasnt for them lol
but once they relise that you have some intention of staying and that you are willing to lend them a hand when they need it you will be accepted

Don't forget Mike (if things go well - and I sure hope they do) one day you too might be lucky enough to be the old boy on the plot next-door..  ;)

Every age has it's advantage - and I bet you it's the old boys who can point you in the direction of the best manure supplier!!  :lol:

(Present company excluded or not as you choose - no offense ment!!)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 07:47 »
yep plenty of manure for free where i am its not quite horse manure but a mix of pidgen and chicken out of about 50 people on our site theres only 5 or 6 of us growing so i can have all the bird pooh i want or need in exchange for some courgetts or toms or even a cuppa lol

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 08:52 »
That's handy!!

On our site it's like gold dust... not quite so pretty or twinkly but just as rare and heavy!

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04 »
problem is the bird manure stinks and as im on the plot nearest to the houses i have to think about which way the winds blowing before i empty the bags

giveitago

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 09:18 »
Every horse owner wants to get rid of their mountain of poo. They usually have stable muck which will include straw/hemp or woodchip but they will also probably have a 'clean' poo pile from the fields with no bedding.

place an ad on either newrider.com, freecycle or preloved for free manure or visit your local tack shop and place an add.  Or you could try phoning the local livery yard or riding school to see if they can help.

Please rememeber to reimburse the horse with some carrots/ apples or swedes later in the year.

compostqueen

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 09:39 »
I take any poo I can get my hands on with bedding or not. The poo with bedding rots down a treat in the black compost bins, a bit longer in a pile  :)

noshed

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44 »
Funnily enough I think it's the urine-soaked straw which is the biz for the soil. People on our site collect the 'nuts' and make poo water with it, for their pumpkins.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 15:42 »
there is a horse stable in derby, stenson fields, they have a massive pile of poo for free and good thing is it don't stink. i carried 2 car loads of the stuff in my small car all the way to bham as i work near derby but i don't fancy doing the treck again due to my exhaust scraping along the A38   :happy:

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 20:56 »
there is a horse stable in derby, stenson fields, they have a massive pile of poo for free and good thing is it don't stink. i carried 2 car loads of the stuff in my small car all the way to bham as i work near derby but i don't fancy doing the treck again due to my exhaust scraping along the A38   :happy:

hey mate nice to see someone just living up the road from me im in the burton area at the moment ill goggle stension fields and see what i can come up with

thanks again and long live the 38 lmao

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47 »
i work in burton myself  at the moment  :D

best route for you would be B5008 towards willington, right onto A5132 then drive on into the 50 mph speed zone from the 40 area, pass the power station condensers and take the left turn onto frizams lane. at the end of the road turn right over the narrow bridge and not far it will be on your right. turn in and you might need to park your car near the back and ask for someone that you want to collect some manure. all you need is plenty of strong bags, wellies and fork or shovel.

you can see the pile of poo from google maps :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 14:18 by potatogrower »

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace

Page created in 0.613 seconds with 38 queries.