Beans means heinz not!

• 10 Replies

weeeed

Beans means heinz not!
« on: July 15, 2007, 20:31 »
Hi, I'm not really growing heinz beans, actually I'm not really growing much of anything! In my garden, (lets not even think of the allotment from H---) I have several very healthy  looking runner beans lots of flowers, lots of very small beans, however, so far we have  only actually picked about 14, not really enough for a feast? Suggestions please.
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 21:34 »
Well your doing better than me on the runner side not a bean (as it were)  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 22:43 »
your doing better than me as well i havnt picked any yet the odd thing with mine is we have 4 plants one was ate by slugs,one has no flowers,one a=has red flowers and one has white flowers yet they are from the same packet of seeds so why the different colours in the flowering?

Sven The Swede

• Experienced Member
Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 22:57 »
blame the sun lol  :lol: that the way it is we are got to get used to this every year globel warming is on its way thats nature :wink:
I CAME LATE TO THIS GAME, BUT IT'S IN THE BLOOD. I TRY TO BE ORGANIC BUT SORRY HAVE TO USE THE SLUG PELLETS.

crowndale

Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:07 »
I am growing dwarf french beans and so far have seen about 6 and eaten one to see if they were ready or not.  Not too impressed with them, I have about 60 plants s was hoping for a somewhat better crop than I have so far!  But in their defense they were under a foot of water two weeks ago so have done well to even survive.  My freinds runners on the lottie site behind me are looking decidely sad and unproductive too though their neighbours (raised bed) are looking much better.  On the bright side my three stripy tomato plants have finally roduce a single fruit, can't wait to eat the most expensive tomato ever grown! (cost of grow bag for one tom!).
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Oliveview

Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:05 »
My dwarf bean crop has not been a good one, the first row of beans got bad black fly that all but killed the plants then the 2nd row I planted never came up (well 4 plants out of about 40) so I replanted a different dwarf bean, they came up, I have plenty of flowers but now the summer has arrived and the high 30´s to low 40´s and the flowers are not producing beans!
Next year I will be prepared with blackfly killer, the soapy spray did not work! :(
PAmela (In Spain)

brucesgirl

Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 09:33 »
My french beans are not good at all, weedy looking and no growth but  had a few beans. Had blackfly on the runners, but sprayed with soapy water and then wiped them off with a cloth, but have loads of beans on them, the first lot should be ready for picking this week with flowers continuing to open and set.
These are a good month later than normal though, as I reckon the insects weren't around earlier to pollinate them with all the cold weather. Last year I pollinated with a brush to get earlier beans.

yummy

Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 15:33 »
I lost my dwarf beans a few weeks back. Also lost 4 lots of runners since June 1st. Sowed Spagna beans and borlotto climbers but none germinated.

I'm a veggie and I love beans. Shame I have none  :oops:

wellingtons

My beans are not great ...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 16:14 »
... all way behind where they should be and I had trouble with germination earlier in the year.

BUT I have one runner bean that self seeded in just the right place and that beans is bushy and healthier than any bean I have ever grown in my life.  I picked several on Saturday and it is absolutely loaded with baby beans and should keep me going for a couple of weeks yet.  Very odd though ... why should that bean be so much stronger than anything else?

Don't you just love this gardening malarky!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 18:41 »
I'm picking loads of runner beans now especially off my Munty frame.  I give them a liquid feed of tomrite each week to encourage flowering.

weeeed

Beans means heinz not!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 20:18 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I'm picking loads of runner beans now especially off my Munty frame.  I give them a liquid feed of tomrite each week to encourage flowering.

:lol: Ok I have to do it even if I regret it later! What is a Munty frame? Is it contagious? Is it home made, easy to make, reliable, long lived and time saving? That is going to take some time to answer. :lol:  :wink:

xx
Heinz tomatoes

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 19:37
by LotuSeed
xx
Heinz tomato seeds

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2015, 08:04
by Headgardener22
xx
This means war

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 22:55
by shaun
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 35 queries.