Eglu Cube Fors/against?

• 22 Replies

Totty

Eglu Cube Fors/against?
« on: September 20, 2010, 21:20 »
Hi all,

Our allotment association has provided a couple of us with an Omlet Eglu Cube each, with extended run, Firstly, what are your feelings on them? Secondly, it says on the web site and in the info booklet that the run is suitable for ten hens! I cannot believe this at all and i have put my foot down at five. I have found that it is really to clean and was just wondering what everyones thoughts on them were!

Thanks,
Totty

westie

• Experienced Member
Re: Eglu Cube Fors/against?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 21:30 »
WOW! You were GIVEN an eglu cube?? From your allotment associaton?? Wherever is your allotment site?!

My friend has an eglu , but a)the price put me off and b) it seemed too small for our situation. I have found that a run we can stand up in, with the hen house inside is much easier to clean out and collect eggs from, as it doesn't require any bending down.
It also has 'character' as we made it ourselves  ;)

I like the idea that an eglu is easy to disinfect/keep clean, but don't know how realistic this is.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 21:51 »
I got one today and I have some strong feelings about service however yours were gifts so nothing there to worry about the cubes themselves are I think poorly made or at least poorly finished but do seem to have advantages I have found lots of places where mites can hide and will be siliconeing if that is a word many holes up tomorrrow I have read that alot leak in bad weather and other stories but as far as looks go they are smart but given that one with an extended run is  795 + 35 delivery Im no sure it's that nice looking I wouldn't keep ten chickens in it either maybe ten v small bantams at a push and the run even when extended is not big enough for that anyway  can't belive they just gave you two!!!! Very genourous considering two wooden coops Of equal size would have come to about 300 instead of 1650 just be greatfull hey  :happy:
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 23:10 »
A free cube. Blimey  :ohmy:

I love my Eglu. It's brill and I'm really happy with it  :)

Totty

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:25 »
I have similar concerns about some small gaps that may leak. As for cleaning and getting eggs, that is all done from outside the run so is really easy. I guess we cant really complain seeing as though we didnt pay, this is the first year our allotments have been in place and we were lucky to get some grants which covered lots of things, but i did mention at purchasing time how much nicer/cheaper a proper wooden coup and big run would be, but the cubes do there job. Lets hope they prove themselves when the wet and frost comes!

Totty

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:33 »
I've never had red mite in my Eglu, and I know that Aunt Sally hasn't either and that's where they gain over wooden houses. You're very lucky to be given Cubes and I'm sure you won't have any problems with them.  I wouldn't get the silicone gun out as you'll need to be able to get it apart for cleaning, which is done say once a year with hot water with a bit of Fairy Liquid in it.  Aunt Sal gets a pressure washer on Eglu :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:42 »
So easy to clean !  Lucky, lucky you :D

Take particular care over security Totty !!!! 

Eglus and Cubes have a high resale value and are sometimes targets by the less moral members of society  >:(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 13:40 »
They can still get red mites in but the main advantage is they come apart easily and can be power washed then dried to get rid of them (remember though not to wash the mites out on the same ground the eglu sits on otherwise the blighters will climb back in  >:().
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 13:42 »
If you already have mite in your flock then there is the likelyhood that you will get it in the cube as Joyfull says.  Getting rid of it is easy peasy though.  No nasty chemical needed.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 21:36 »
GIVEN  :nowink: EGLU  :nowink: WOW  :D worth moving for that!  Our allotment committee graciously allowed us to take on an allotment on condition we broke up a 12ft concrete path by hand and took out waist height raised beds (posts concreted in)!!  different sort of generosity  :ohmy:  don't look a gift horse etc  :) 

Jae Dawn

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 15:06 »
 <---- starts packing to move to Somerset! 

Woooo Hoooo dying for a cube!!! 

Love my eglu but dream of a Cube in a WIR run 6 x 6 12.  Guess while I am dreaming I might as well dream that I don't work and have a life of leisure too!! ::)

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 18:47 »
Bad news jae dawn they have gone up by 100 quid ha ha no joke check it out on the website  :(

Totty

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 21:16 »
I wont go into the other benifits of our allotments then tesni! I reckon im gonna make a bigger run for the eglu soon. As good as the coups are, the runs are just too small IMO!

Totty

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 22:05 »
I wont go into the other benifits of our allotments then tesni!

Totty
:tongue2: and grinding teeth!  we have just been informed of a hosepipe ban (you can fill yr water butt with hose but then have to use a can) and a person who decorated their butt was told to get rid as only grey or blue are allowed...... really they just seem to sit round making up rules 
will join JD in packing  :D

Totty

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 18:16 »
Sounds like you have some overly strict policys. Luckily our group was set up by our community, therefore we all had a say in what we wanted, plot sizes, bee hives, chickens, polytunnel, patio and barbeque area, communal tools. I dont see any need for silly rules really, our site was set up to be able to not only supply familys with there own fruit and veg, but also give kids the chance to learn about growing, bees, chickens etc etc, and so far (first year) its going good!  8)

xx
eglu cube

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 07:15
by symonep
xx
Eglu cube

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 09:52
by Aunt Sally
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 22:53
by jo40
xx
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 01:03
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 38 queries.