are soft eggs miscarried ??

• 15 Replies

josh5357

are soft eggs miscarried ??
« on: September 20, 2010, 21:09 »
Why is it that soft eggs are very rarely found in the nest box?
They are found in the morning under the perch, by surprise to the hen when she is walking about or standing in a group. The chook would appear to have no control in laying of an egg.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: are soft eggs miscarried ??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 22:22 »
a soft egg is just an egg that has missed the final stage of the hard coating, most hens are a bit under the weather before they lay it so perhaps the fact that one of yours has them out of the nest box is purely down to the fact that they find wandering about eases their discomfort.
Staffies are softer than you think.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20 »
One of my birds was laying a shell less egg every day on the nest box it made I right mess I had to change the straw everyday and the other eggs would get covered in yolk I wish shed had the decency to do it elsewhere.
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

josh5357

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:16 »
Is there ever going to be an end to the softies? I don't want to have her culled. If she turns  into an egg eater breaking into other chooks eggs then she will have to go. Josh

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:30 »
I Take it your still getting soft eggs ? have you tried all the remidies people mentioned In the previous thread about softies? the lime stone flour worked for me but I hear very good things about shell max booster. 

josh5357

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 18:18 »
Tried everything but the limestone flour. I thought it was the same as oyster shells when iI checked online. Guess I must be wrong, will try and get some asap. Been busy at work. 
Josh

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 19:20 »
How old is she Josh? Has she laid hard shelled before?
Alan

audi

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 19:47 »
My girls before they started to lay properly had two soft eggs,  gave them limestone and it did the trick within days they were laying strong shelled eggs.

josh5357

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 20:27 »
How old is she Josh? Has she laid hard shelled before?
She was bought point of lay 5th August, I have had 1 egg that had a good shell. 1 with a thin shell that broke. The rest--every day soft eggs since she started laying on 24th  August

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 06:25 »
limestone flour is good because you can put it on there treats and know 100% she is getting it oystershell is just there avaliable an she may not eat it I don't see mine eat it but I have it there anyway. mine eat the red brick wall aswell it's amazing how much brick 3 chickens can eat. Makes the poo red  :D

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:58 »
I would def agree with the Lime flour. But also consider she is still young so her downstairs factory is still maturing.

josh5357

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 18:18 »
ordered limestones from wells poultry will get her on it when it arrives. was thinking of feeding her sand and cement for hard eggs. any other suggestions ?? :nowink:

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 18:24 »
Don't forget to add few drops a day of codliver oil or similar to aid absorption of calcium - in case it's an absorption problem rather than deficiency. I'd also ensure some green leaves (cabbage, cooked broccoli, spinach etc) for same reason. Other than that I'd give no extras, just layers for at least a week.
As Alancane said though, as she's young it may just right itself in time. :)

josh5357

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 17:21 »
limestone flour is good because you can put it on there treats and know 100% she is getting it oystershell is just there avaliable an she may not eat it I don't see mine eat it but I have it there anyway. mine eat the red brick wall aswell it's amazing how much brick 3 chickens can eat. Makes the poo red  :D
limesone arrived today. How much a day did you give your chook with the softies. How quick did she stop laying them.    Josh

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 18:30 »
I gave them two teaspoons mixed with about 4/5 brocoli florrets (the broccoli helps them obsorb the calcium and I know they will eat it) between 3 hens For a few days can't remember now think 2 or 3 then a normal egg and normal untill I was told to stop when the eggs returned to normal so i stopped with the limestone and the next day a softie!!! so I started again and a couple of days later hard shells but funny colour??? now back to normal nice dark brown eggs  :D I think she doesn't eat as much pellets or perhaps oyster shell so I need to sneak the calcium in her diet
good luck 

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
soft eggs again

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 12:03
by ANHBUC
clip
soft eggs

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 09:28
by 8doubles
xx
Soft Eggs

Started by WoodyK on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 16:34
by WoodyK

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 37 queries.