Advice - Organic pellets or not?

• 7 Replies

PaulineM

Advice - Organic pellets or not?
« on: September 20, 2010, 14:25 »
Hi Everyone,  :)
I am just coming to the end of my first bag of feed. My book had suggested buying the best feed you could afford so I purchased Small Holder organic, not just because it was organic but it also had the longest shelf life at the feed merchants, which was another thing my book had said to look out for. However while reading other posts on here I have discovered that the ordinary feeds include things that help prevent illnesses while the organic do not  :( (correct me if i'm wrong). So my question is this if you are not aiming for organic eggs, should you just buy the ordinary layers pellets? My aim is to have healthy chickens over organic fed chickens, although both would be nice.  ::) :) ::)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

orchardlady

Re: Advice - Organic pellets or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 17:22 »
Go for the non organic pellets, much cheaper, just a good for them and unless you only eat totally organic food in your home and they eat your table scraps your eggs won't be organic because they will have eaten your non organic scraps!

Also frankly my hens preferred the non organic pellets..it was really noticeable. Heygates is what I feed my girls. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 22:48 »
the small holder range is not organic but is gm free, I feed mine on organic (Allen and page the same as the small holder range is but in brown sacks) and even though I am not organic all of the time at home and will give my chickens any medication they need as prescribed by my vets so this makes them non organic I just love the taste of the yolks that the Allen and page produces. Some people say you cant tell the difference but having eaten eggs from chickens fed on other feed I think you can. The sad thing is though is that Allen and Page stuff does seem to be very very expensive  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:45 »
It is my preference to get the organic, or if not available the smallholder non-gm range. That is because I am not keen to eat the type of gm soya they put in the cheap pellets, and whatever my chickens eat, I feel I am eating in their eggs.

I like my food to be what it is, i.e. I don't want to eat tomatoes that have anti-freezing fish gene in just to make them last longer on the shop shelf. Just a bit of GM phobia and I am sure others will argue that I am ignorant. Just my preference though.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 19:09 »
Hi Everyone,  :)
I am just coming to the end of my first bag of feed. My book had suggested buying the best feed you could afford so I purchased Small Holder organic, not just because it was organic but it also had the longest shelf life at the feed merchants, which was another thing my book had said to look out for. However while reading other posts on here I have discovered that the ordinary feeds include things that help prevent illnesses while the organic do not  :( (correct me if i'm wrong). So my question is this if you are not aiming for organic eggs, should you just buy the ordinary layers pellets? My aim is to have healthy chickens over organic fed chickens, although both would be nice.  ::) :) ::)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'feeds include things that help prevent illnesses'. I may well be wrong but as far as I am aware only chick crumbs ACS contain medication. Obviously chicks will NOT be laying eggs. But if an ACS food is fed to a laying bird the eggs should NOT be eaten.

Apologies if I have misunderstood?! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

PaulineM

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 19:44 »
Hi Sassy  :)
I think i read on here that non organic layer pellets contain things that help prevent coccidious (or something like that). I feed mine small holder layer pellets at the moment. I was just wondering if the ordinary pellets although containing additives might be better than organic.   ???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 21:24 »
anti cocci is only in chick crumb and growers never in layers. Even then birds fed on this feed can still get coccidiosis and then in order to treat them you have to change their feed to one that doesn't have the anti cocci in and give your chicks something like coxoid or baycox. Organic feeds never have anti cocci medication in it.

PaulineM

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:36 »
Thanks Joyfull,
That has cleared that up for me.  :) :) :)

xx
best value organic layers pellets

Started by rowe1311 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 22:58
by rowe1311
xx
Organic layers pellets - how much£?

Started by cluckingmad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 16:24
by si-mate
xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
organic feed?

Started by VM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 17:22
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 29 queries.