horse pooh or cow pooh

• 6 Replies

rachelr

horse pooh or cow pooh
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:11 »
Hi can anyone help. What is the best pooh to use and how is the best way to use it. i.e. if it is fresh do i have to wait before applying it. Can i just put it straight on the newly dug soil
many thanks rachel

Redgoat

Re: horse pooh or cow pooh
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 00:24 »
If it's fresh it can harm plants as it decays. That's why it's best to use manure that's been allowed to rot down.
The more intensive the farming system the less straw is used in the bedding so the resulting manure is less bulky (which is bad).

My great uncle (who was a gardener in several stately homes) always said that the manure from a shire horse was worth the manure of five cattle.

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 06:27 »
Well the best pooh is any that you can get for nothing! :D

I offer to clean a friend's paddock who has horses.  And a couple of times another friend has dropped off a trailer-load of horse or cow pooh.  I like the cow pooh because it has been broken down more in the multiple stomachs and the weed seeds seem less (or maybe have been completely digested??) compared to horse pooh.  I believe cow pooh has more available calcium, also from the digestion processes.  Cow pooh can be a pain though in that it can be harder to break up, either when you are putting it in the compost heap or directly on the garden.  Fresh horse muck is a bit the same.

I've been doing a bit of reading about Victorian gardens & gardeners ( in UK and NZ), and it seems that even that recently it was OK to use the "honey bucket" as part of the manure source for vegetable/flower gardens.  But some how my modern sensibilities draw the line at using my own pooh  :ohmy: even if it would be free.

= Pip

tedsdad

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 07:05 »
Although there is a difference in the make up of the manure it's cheifly what bedding the animals have been on that makes the difference  eg. cow manure is full of straw because 'barley beef' is kept on straw,no matter,it's all good stuff  BUT you must compost it first.However,often if you collect the stuff yourself,say from a big pile outside a stable or byre you'll find the manure on the bottom is half composted already.

rachelr

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:37 »
many thanks

WE are so new to this can i ask another question. Can i put the manure (fresh) on the beds i am wintering and not planting till next year. If i can wat to i do to help it break down.

tedsdad

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 07:53 »
The most confusing thing about being new is finding out how peoples opinions differ sometimes, and this maybe one of those times!

It depends how 'fresh' it is. If you've got a good pile,say half a ton,personally,Iwould pile it up cover it up,so it can generate some good heat then have a look in spring to see how well it's broken down. Others may not agree!

bigben

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14 »
many thanks

WE are so new to this can i ask another question. Can i put the manure (fresh) on the beds i am wintering and not planting till next year. If i can wat to i do to help it break down.
I recently picked up 6 bags of very fresh horse poo after an event involving horses in my local park. I used it by putting thin layers in my darlek composter with garden waste in between the layers. It really heats up well and in a couple of weeks I will doing a last cut of the grass and hedge in my garden. This will go into an empty darlek with layers of the horse poo/ compost mix. In this way I hope to dilute it down and also speed up the composting of the other stuff in my bins. I use the contents in spud sacks in the spring. Last year it worked well but I used bought horse muck.

xx
Blood fish & bone, chicken pooh or both and combination crops

Started by mrspodington on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 07:47
by Lottiegob
xx
horse c***

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
Horse poo

Started by GraciesGran on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2022, 06:30
by GraciesGran
xx
horse poo

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 08:34
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 36 queries.