First time with my breadmaker........

• 46 Replies

wannagrowveg

Re: First time with my breadmaker........
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 21:22 »
I have a breadmaker which I love but the bread gets to the last 10 minutes lovely and domed then flops its drives me nuts!

Anyone got any ideas why? the recipe I use is almost the same as madcats except i add sunflower seeds.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 21:27 »
Mine used to do that.

That's why I took to throwing it in the oven and darned pleased that I did.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

wannagrowveg

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 21:43 »
I put mine on a timer so its done by the time I get home in the evening, could i put it on a dough setting and bang it in the oven when I get home do you think?

madcat

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 22:38 »
Mine flops if it is too wet (which can be just 11 fl oz instead of 9 if I am a bit too casual) or if the temperature is unstable ....  it hated living in the draught from the window and likes life in the corner.  Any help? ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 18:30 »
These are very close, (1cm shorter than mine). Mine were a squid each.

Loaf tins

Don't know what those silcone ones are like.

I've been using my Panasonic breadmaker for a long time and I love the bread it makes. However, my OH is utterly incapable of cutting slices off a loaf, so I really like the idea of mini loaves so he can rip it in half without mutilating the rest of the loaf.

I had a look at the ebay listings for these tins, non-stick and silicon, and it's a bit difficult to gauge the size of them cos the given measurements are very inconsistent, even where it's clearly the same tins. But I found one that says a standard 500g mix will fill six mini tins, so how the heck are you making it stretch to 12? And how long does the dough have to proof in the airing cupboard?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 18:35 »
If it helps, mine measure 100mm x 55mm as far as the bottom is concerned. Believe me, you would want to put twice as much dough in them.

The rise time varies according to what flour I'm using, wholemeal probably take 2 hours, plain white, 1 1/2 hrs.

They bake in 12 mins at 200C.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 22:28 »
If it helps, mine measure 100mm x 55mm as far as the bottom is concerned. Believe me, you would want to put twice as much dough in them.

The rise time varies according to what flour I'm using, wholemeal probably take 2 hours, plain white, 1 1/2 hrs.

They bake in 12 mins at 200C.

Thanks, DD, I'll get some tins and give that a try. I might try some of the silicone ones, actually, cos that stuff is supposed to work really well. I'm stunned they cook in 12mins, that would be fantastic.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 06:28 »
It's taken a bit of practice, to get it right, but I can guarantee the 12 mins - they are small loaves after all. The rise time is the variable.

I've got it down to a fine art now, as soon as I put the oven on to bake a batch, the next lot of mix goes in the machine, by the time that dough's ready, the oven's heated up, previous batch has baked and the tins have cooled down ready for the next lot.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 17:56 »
Do you use the fast action yeast for machines, or the hand baking yeast?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 17:57 »
Fast action!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 20:31 »
Actually, I just discovered the recipes section on the Doves Farm website, not just bread but all sorts of other stuff as well.

When I get my new cooker, so I don't have to take things out halfway through and turn them around any more, and the shelf doesn't collapse every time I put something heavy on it, I'm going to spend weeks and weeks going through those recipes. And I may even try making some bread from scratch :)

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 21:17 »
I have a breadmaker which I love but the bread gets to the last 10 minutes lovely and domed then flops its drives me nuts!

Anyone got any ideas why? the recipe I use is almost the same as madcats except i add sunflower seeds.

This is what mine does with wholemeal, and brown breads but not whites, I never made one good loaf with it, so now make by hand. Its very easy and pretty quick to make the dough then find something else to do for the hour rising, then I make into rolls, rise for a bit then bake them for 20 mins. For the last couple of weeks I have baked enough for the week and then froze them.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 22:26 »
For the last couple of weeks I have baked enough for the week and then froze them.

I've never tried freezing fresh baked bread, only the mass produced stuff. What's it like when you defrost it? Doesn't it affect the texture, so you lose the crustiness?

madcat

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 13:57 »
DD - I want a word with you!!   :D

I know you prefer hand baking to machines and make a good case for it with your loaves  .....  but did you have to decease my poor little machine to make me go back to hand baking?   ::)   I miss it ....    :( :( 

And what really really makes me cross is  it is only the bearing on the bottom of the pan that is gone ...   him indoors tried to make a loaf without the paddle earlier in the week   :ohmy:  and the resulting mess meant a very thorough clean rather than the usual wipe round.  I think in the process I moved the comfortable gunk that had acted as the seal/temporary bearing.  A replacement is going to take a heck of a lot of finding.

What was the name of the model where the paddle lies down?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 14:28 »
Nowt to do with me!

xx
breadmaker

Started by francesann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

33 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 15:52
by madcat
xx
Sour dough in breadmaker?

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:45
by Poolfield2
xx
breadmaker woes and joys

Started by grendel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

137 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 13:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
It actually set this time!!!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 14:53
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 37 queries.