Are my new chickens ok?

• 15 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Are my new chickens ok?
« on: September 18, 2010, 18:57 »
I brought my 3 chickens (2 light Sussex and a buff Orpington) home around 3 o clock this afternoon and put them straight into their coop.  The buff orpington seemed fine, she was having a good look around and even let me stroke her.  Since then all three have been huddled together in the corner of the coop and I've just been to check on them and they are surrounded by piles of runny poo and they've not eaten anything.  Are they ok?

daisy1990

Re: Are my new chickens ok?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 19:38 »
I was advised when I got my three girls to put them in the coop and leave them undisturbed overnight to let them settle and over the stress of the journey.  I know it is tempting to keep looking but they are best left alone.  Hens do have runny poo so likely that they will just have walked in it.  Also hens often dont eat or drink if stressed so again dont worry.  I would close them in and leave them until morning and see how they are then.

I presume in saying all this that you have bought them from a reputable breeder and they looked health when you collected them?

Do let us know how they are
Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 19:52 »
Good luck with the new hens, Beth,  :).  I agree with Daisy that this could just be the stress of the move.  Keep your eye on them and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 19:58 »
Hi
They will probably emerge tomorrow like nothing has happened. Agree with what daisy said, I left mine as well and the next morning they came out of the coop within ten minutes in a couple of days it will be ten seconds.  ;)
You will no doubt have lots of questions over the next few weeks, don't hesitate to ask :) this site is great even for just getting some reassurance  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 20:23 »
Thank you for the advice, I feel more confident now.  As you said it's probably the move that has upset them.  I hope they will be alright when I go down to them in the morning.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 21:12 »
Snap.....we brought 4 home at 3 o'clock too... and none have set a foot outside the hut since we opened it up at 4 o'clock. Mind it has been hissing down here since around 3.30 so quite wise really.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 21:29 »
Hi Beth, we got our 5 hens when the weather was very warm at the beginning of the summer and it took them time to settle, I even asked on here if chickens were agoraphobic  :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:07 »
Morning everyone, thanks for the reassurance.  My ladies seem happy this morning.  I went down at 7.30 and let them out and the Orpington, who we've named Maggie, is really confident.  My Light Sussex's, who are nameless at the moment, don't seem as brave.  They've all eaten so I'm happy now.  Should I bring the food in after they've eaten in the morning or leave out all day?

How are your ladies doing waddecar?

Flossie

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 12:25 »
We have had our chickens just a week and know how worrying it can be. But now 3 of ours will eat out of our hand and seem very settled. Beware of a bit of bullying but it soons settles. Good Luck.

PaulineM

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 12:56 »
Hi Beth
Glad your ladies have settled well.  :)
Leave their food and water outside now, under cover if possible so as the food doesn't get wet and take it inside at night to stop rodents eating it. You don't need to leave food or water in their coop now as they don't eat or drink once they go to bed.  :)
As Flossie says beware of the pecking order now it will probably get quite vicious.  ::)

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 12:58 »
Hi Beth,

Glad they are getting more confident today. You say leave the food in... what do you mean?
I would recommend having the food in the run and not in the coop.
Alan

daisy1990

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 19:01 »
Glad they are all well.  We leave the food and water in the run overnight with no problems (they are both in galvanised feeders which shelter the food from the rain), would recommend these as they seen to keep the food drier than the plastic alternatives

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 20:07 »
Yes galvanised feeders do sound like a good idea.  I was worried that leaving the food outside overnight would attract rats.

daisy1990

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 20:20 »
me too but we have had them for three months now and no sign of any vermin (thank goodness!)

orchardlady

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 21:21 »
I would recommend that you empty the water and refresh either that evening or first thing in the morning. I would also be extremely wary of leaving food out over night. You may not see vermin but I can guarantee they are around. You are simply leaving temptation and free access. The hard times are coming for vermin now so definitely move the food at night if at all possible.

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
new to chickens

Started by cheekychick22 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 19:07
by JACDORE

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 36 queries.