pale yolks

• 15 Replies

audi

pale yolks
« on: September 17, 2010, 20:19 »
My girls have been laying for 1 week now and the yokes are quite pale, is this because they are pullet eggs, or am I missing something in their diet? :unsure:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 21:04 by DD. »

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Re: pale yolks
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 20:28 »
Brocolli seems to make mine orange but thy could be any greens mine just like brocolli  :D give it a try nothing to lose I buy it frozen from Iceland for 1 quid
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 21:05 by DD. »
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

audi

Re: pale yokes
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 20:59 »
Thanks I will do that I have some in the fridge, do you cook it?

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 21:03 »
I agree with W, greens seem to do the trick.  Mine get to range round the garden to nip grass for a couple of hours every few days (or they would nip it bare!) also give them the uncooked trimmings from cabbage, cauli and broccoli.  Any left over spinach (cooked & uncooked) is fought over ..... anything green seems ok by them! and we love the orangy yolks too :)  

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 21:04 »
Anything green from grass to brocolli will help the yolks turn more orange.
Alan

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 21:22 »
If you want really dark yellow yolks then do what the Italians do and feed them carrots every day. :closedeyes:
Cheese makes everything better.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 21:26 »
Oh! I never knew that?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 21:27 »
Makes sense. ;)

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 22:17 »
I believe it is the carotene (or is that carotin?) in green plants that make the egg yolks yellow/orange. I had definitive proof of this. When we had all the snow this past winter I was only able to clear small patches of grass that were quickly stripped. As the snow stayed for some days the cleared areas were more areas for standing on rather than ranging. The yolks were a very insipid pale yellow.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 04:23 »
I cook it in the microwave then cut it up they love it. also for a laugh cook some brussles and throw them one to start with ha ha I call it chicken rugby its so funny. I tried spinich yestrday and they weren't keen also about the carrots mine don't seem to like them I gave them some the otherday and they were still there in the morning????? not like them at all ha ha  :D

Brenda Babes

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 08:38 »
If they are just young new layers then the yolks should get more yellow as they get better at laying. At first the eggs I was getting were quite small and very pale but now I get lovely big bright yellow yolks. I feed them any veg left over from dinner (as well as the cooked peels), spaghetti (which is fun), corn, rice, buckwheat and some corn. Try anything out..... as long as it's not meat......and you will soon find out what they like best!

audi

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 20:20 »
Thank you for all your replies.  today I gave them some broccoli which I lightly cooked, they looked at it and did not eat it, so I left it for them and when I went back it was gone!  I will try other greens as well. Audi

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 20:29 »
they weren't keen also about the carrots mine don't seem to like them I gave them some the otherday and they were still there in the morning????? not like them at all ha ha  :D

Did you grate them?  Mine didn't know what to do with them until I grated them and then they scoffed them down.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 17:06 »
as long as it's not meat

I give mine leftover cooked meat - they really love it. I don't give any chickenmeat just because it doesn't seem right, but I know other keepers who do.

They eat worms and slugs and bugs in the garden so meat is not off bounds.

Mine especially like the fatty trimmings off steak cut up small, they can strip the meat off a pork chop bone, and like leftover fish skins too, with or without batter!

I try and give as many kitchen scraps as I can as this gives them a varied diet and ultimately they eat less bought-in feed, and the whole enterprise is more economical. Although I love the chooks to bits, I don't want it to cost more to keep them than I save in having to buy eggs, if that makes sense.

Also garden weeds go down very well.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 18:22 »
Ha ha if you or anyone else can find a way of keeping (healthy) hens that costs less than buying eggs let me know!!!! 

xx
Pale Yolks

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 10:44
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Yolks pale, is that normal?

Started by dancing trousers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 16:35
by joyfull
xx
Egg yolks

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 14:28
by Brambles
xx
3 yolks in my egg

Started by gladis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 21:54
by evie2

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 36 queries.