starbucks are doing used coffee grounds

• 36 Replies

zazen999

Re: starbucks are doing used coffee grounds
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 14:04 »
Not a good idea to put them straight into the soil as they take up nitrogen from the soil before they break down which takes a while.

Use sparingly around prized plants to deter slugs. Sprinkle the remainder in your compost heap or dalek to help break down process.

This nitrogen taking from the soil....where DO people get these ideas from?

Coffee grounds add lots of nutrients TO the soil. Also very good for prepping the ground prior to putting your onion sets/seedlngs in.

evie2

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 14:24 »
Sheffield, excellent :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

hamstergbert

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 15:53 »
Are there any Starbucks north of Watford Gap?  :lol:

In Leeds there used to be two on opposite sides of the same ruddy street (although one of them was upstairs in a Borders bookshop, since ceased trading there).  MInd you ther is (still) another one less than 100 yards away!   Being old enough and ug.... well, old enough to remember the slime that used to be sold as coffee in this country a few years back I remain a fan of the coffee revolution.  Costa man meself for choice.   The side effect of lots of outlets desperate to dispose of coffee grounds is not one I had actualy thought too much about - just use our own and usually manage enough for a bit of anti-slug selective mulching.

Coffee joke:
"This coffee tastes like mud!"
"Well the coffee we use is fresh ground."

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 16:04 »
 :lol: :lol: ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rachelr

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 16:23 »
yes we found one on the way to leeds lol.  Wish there was more tho.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 20:52 »
Are there any Starbucks north of Watford Gap?  :lol:

Services Jct 4 M54 Telford
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

evie2

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 21:01 »
hams joke, I like that it made me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zippy

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 00:34 »

Hi zazen. I agree, coffee grounds do add lots of nutrients to the soil, including nitrogen, but while the grounds are rotting they actually use nitrogen in the decomposition process so they temporarily lock up soil nitrogen and then release it later along with the extra nitrogen from the grounds.

While this is an increase in nitrogen at the end of the process, if you have crops around while the coffee grounds are still breaking down, there will be a temporary nitrogen deficit.

I hope I am wrong but i believe I am right - over to you ...

zazen999

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 09:30 »

Hi zazen. I agree, coffee grounds do add lots of nutrients to the soil, including nitrogen, but while the grounds are rotting they actually use nitrogen in the decomposition process so they temporarily lock up soil nitrogen and then release it later along with the extra nitrogen from the grounds.

While this is an increase in nitrogen at the end of the process, if you have crops around while the coffee grounds are still breaking down, there will be a temporary nitrogen deficit.

I hope I am wrong but i believe I am right - over to you ...

i know what people SAY about nitrogen and the way that [for example] coffee grounds and sawdust will 'remove' nitrogen from the soil - I was a soils engineer for 14 years and have come across many many old wives tales....however even if any IS 'lost' - the amount is negligible compared to the amount that the soil will receive back from the decomposing matter.

I have yet to find any actual evidence that crops will be deficient in nitrogen by an amount big enough to make any difference...and the values more than outweigh the reduction [for example, the plant won't need any nitrogen if it gets eaten by slugs]....

Did you get this information from scientific research or just from hearing it from someone?

Zippy

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 12:45 »
Thanks zazen - that's cleared up a question for me. I had always held the nitrogen lock-up theory because I had heard it from gardeners, read it in books; even from organic sources. It just goes to show there is a lot of respected rubbish out there which perpectuates itself.

I'm off to Starbucks this afternoon actually!

rachelr

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 12:49 »
pick me up some zippy many thanks

zazen999

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 19:25 »
Thanks zazen - that's cleared up a question for me. I had always held the nitrogen lock-up theory because I had heard it from gardeners, read it in books; even from organic sources. It just goes to show there is a lot of respected rubbish out there which perpectuates itself.

I'm off to Starbucks this afternoon actually!

If you ask them nicely, they will go out the back and give you a bin bag full......just make sure you don't have to carry it too far as it can get very heavy!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 19:26 »
I was a soils engineer for 14 years

I didn't realise that was anything to do with horticulture  :ohmy:

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/soil-engineer.html

Zippy

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 20:11 »
Yes, I've found if you go when business is quiet and you let them know you don't want it wrapped up fancy they are happy to drop it into a bin bag for your car boot.

zazen999

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 21:05 »
I was a soils engineer for 14 years

I didn't realise that was anything to do with horticulture  :ohmy:

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/soil-engineer.html

Actually, you are quite wrong. Or your result of googling is. Part of Civils IS landscaping and that includes quite a large amount of land that has to be reseeded and have plants either planted or reinstated. Plenty of nutrient tests have been done in order to establish the correct mix of underlying soil prior to reseeding etc.

However that is irrelevant. When you deal with soils for 14 years you expand your knowledge and research and widen your net. When I did my English degree I also read other books; I didn't just read my set lists - the same applies. I have done every type of test possible on soils; and have researched the topic over the years many times.

Anyhow - if you DO have research that proves that mulches restrict growth due to robbing them of nitrogen then I'd love to see it. I really would - I'm not being flippant.....but it's just I've never seen any.

I love the fact that because I was once a soils engineer I know nothing of horticulture - seeing as I'm now qualified in that as well :D

xx
Starbucks coffee grounds cancelled????

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 12:34
by nipper31
xx
Free coffee grounds from Starbucks

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 22:07
by compostqueen
xx
Coffee grounds?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 20:36
by rowan57
xx
Coffee Grounds

Started by Shirley on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 19:33
by WG.

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 38 queries.