strawberry re-shuffle

• 2 Replies

fletch

• Experienced Member
strawberry re-shuffle
« on: July 14, 2007, 21:47 »
I have loads (and I mean loads) of strawberry plants all over my allotment, but there is one bed in particular that seems to have been devoted to being a strawberry bed.
Unfortunately this year it has been overgrown with weeds and the crop was plentiful but poor in quality due to damage (I didn't get a chance to "straw" them).
I really want to clear the bed, de-weed it and start again with all these lovely plants. When is the best time to do this?

Btw, if anybody wants some free plants / runners etc in the process, I've got tons, so give me a shout!

Fletch
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
strawberry re-shuffle
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 02:59 »
Do it now. I'd select some of the best young healthy plants and cut off  the existing foliage (it will soon regrow). At the same time plant up some of the new runners and this will give you some fresh plants.

Each year thereafter plant up  some of the new runners to replace some of the older plants. This should mean that ultimately you have 1, 2, 3 and 4 year old plants. I wouldn't keep any longer than 4 years and some people would advocate not keeping any longer than 3 years
Ah well ! There is always next year !

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
strawberry re-shuffle
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:05 »
I should have added that as you plant fresh runners each year use a different spot at the end of the bed. So over time the plants "walk" along the bed. ( plant new runners at one end and dig up the old plants at the other end)

xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et
clip
Strawberry

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2016, 17:14
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
new strawberry bed

Started by richardoram on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 17:16
by RichardA
xx
strawberry

Started by moomoos42 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 10:34
by ex-cavator

Page created in 0.953 seconds with 36 queries.