How cold before I should do something about tender stuff?

• 4 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
How cold before I should do something about tender stuff?
« on: September 14, 2010, 13:56 »
I note that in the next few days the overnight temps are forecast to start dropping down to 6 or 7 degrees, which is getting a bit chilly. When should I start to do something about all the tender stuff, toms, peppers, chillis? How cold does it need to be before any fruit is affected? Cos I've got loads of fruit on the plants that I'm leaving as long as possible, so it can ripen naturally if possible. If temps are going to cause damage, I'll pick them and bring them indoors to finish ripening, but I don't want to do that any sooner than absolutely necessary.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: How cold before I should do something about tender stuff?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 14:33 »
The tender plants you mention are no doubt looking a bit knackered already as they come towards the end of their fruiting season. I usually reckon that anything less than 10C will finish them off quite quickly, particularly if sustained for any length of time.

The development of the fruits will obviously slow down as well, but should survive unless there is a frost (3-4C is low enough for a ground frost if the air is still, especially if you garden in a frost pocket.)

They will need to be protected from that, either by fleecing, picking, or moving under cover.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 16:47 »
I moved my Christmas spuds into the greenhouse yesterday. A bit earlier that I had intended but the forcast is poor for the rest of the week. All my tender plants (chillies, peppers and toms) have always lived in the greenhouse but the half-hardys are going in around October.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 13:57 »
They're all turning red now and I was so hoping for a little more time, so more would go ripe outside. I'm loathe to start picking and bringing all the green ones in (there are hundreds of them) so was hoping the fruit could stay on the plants at least till the end of September. It's going to take a lot of bananas to turn that lot red. And the long-term forecast is saying that temps will go back up to above average for time of year, going into October.

If I take the gamble and leave them on the plants, and the overnight temps go down to 4 or 5 degrees, what would actually happen to the fruit? I don't care about the plants, just the fruit. Would they go all mushy?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 14:12 »
I doubt it - supermarkets store fruit at around 2 degrees whilst in transit so they should be safe. They just won't ripen.

xx
Too cold to start sowing stuff?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 09:28
by mumofstig
xx
Tender seedlings 9oc

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2022, 22:29
by Subversive_plot
xx
How cold is too cold for spuds in the shed?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 20:33
by Nobbie
xx
Better not plant anything tender out. FROST WARNING!

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 09:39
by madcat

Page created in 0.718 seconds with 38 queries.