Shady suggestions?

• 3 Replies

Totty

Shady suggestions?
« on: September 13, 2010, 21:17 »
Hi all,
 We are not blessed with a full size allotment, so space is valuable. I always see the space inbetween rows of beans as a waste, especially as i always dig a deep trench, so there are loads of nutrients there too. When this years beans are gone, i am putting a 4x4 post in each corner of the bed (16ftx6ft) 8ft high.

Im then going to connect the posts at the top with a tight wire, then at intervals, run twine down from the wire to pegs in the ground to grow the beans up (hope your still with me) :tongue2:

This will mean that the beans are growing straight up, leaving a pathway of about 3-4ft between the rows. This should also mean that the inside of the plants (usually shaded by themselves) will get lots of sunlight through the gap now left at the top, and that hopefully i could make use of the space in the middle by growing some semi shade loving veg that can also feed from the trench.

Does this sound ok? any recommendations?

All replies appreciated
Totty

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Shady suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 15:58 »
Interesting idea.

My immediate reaction is that there will definitely be quite a bit of shade between the two rows so make sure you plant the rows broadly in a N-S direction, to maximise the sunshine on both rows.

Are you sure you won't need to walk between the two rows in order to harvest?

Leafy veg tends to be happy in shadier conditions - e.g. lettuce, chard, leaf beet etc.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Totty

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 21:04 »
Yes the plan is to be able to walk in between the rows in order to harvest the beans and whatever other veg grown, this will be on scaffold planks placed in between. Any other ideas on things we could grow in between? the rows will be n/s facing and due to the fact the beans wont be meeting at the top of any joining canes, the entire 'roof' area will be letting in the sun

Totty

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 21:29 »
Have a look at this current thread on the same topic

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65175

xx
how shady is too shady for comfrey ?

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 18:52
by richrua
xx
Shady bed

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 11:52
by fletch
xx
bit shady ;-)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 19:37
by DavidT
xx
Shady bed

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2007, 22:55
by noshed

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 37 queries.