Carrots for Christmas?

• 8 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Carrots for Christmas?
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:16 »
I've had great success with growing carrots on the plot this year, we're now munching our way through the second sowing and have quite a few in the ground still. After loosing all my carrots to root fly last year I covered up this year with mesh* and have not lost a single carrot.

Question- Will my carrots store in the ground until Christmas day? I was hoping to keep a small batch for crimbo dinner. Should I offer further protection to aid their survival?

Thanks!

*As you may already know the proper mesh can be expensive, I used plain curtain netting, the stuff without any patterns or large holes. It has worked a treat and didnt cost me a penny as I got it all off Freecycle. Trust me, it works!  8)
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Carrots for Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31 »
I am currently eating carrots that were planted underneath brassicas as an experiment Autumn 2009, some of them are fine, a few are a bit woody & pock marked, but they obviously survived the snow, with a bit of shelter from the PSB  :lol:
Only problem you might have is thawing the ground out enough to get them out if we get a hard frost.
Alternatively, you can store them in boxes of sand,so I am told anyway!
 site called allotment.org has more info  ;)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment_foods/Storing_the_Surplus_Potatoes_and_Root_Vegetables.php

tedsdad

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58 »
The problem with leaving them in the ground is gaurding from attack by slugs bugs mice etc.Better lift and store and turn the soil over and let the frost and birds get at it.Sometimes if you look around at this time of year you find gardencentres etc knocking out potting compost cheap,this is perfect for storing carrots in boxes,layered not touching,and in the spring you can use the compost.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50 »
I just leave all mine in.

They're useable right up to spring when they start re-growing. I loose a few of the tops of the carrots to nibblers, but the rest of the carrot is fine and it saves a lot of work & storage space.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 13:32 »
Thanks all.

Im going to leave a few in the ground, see what happens. It will be nice to pop up on Christmas morning and pull them up along with my parsnips and sprouts for lunch.

If they do spoil, at least I'll be a little wiser.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 14:00 »
I just leave all mine in.

They're useable right up to spring when they start re-growing. I loose a few of the tops of the carrots to nibblers, but the rest of the carrot is fine and it saves a lot of work & storage space.

This summer I've had a very determined pack of mice that not only nipped off the tops of the carrots, but actually nibbled all the way down the carrot from the top. Almost kind of makes you feel they deserve it, after all that effort, doesn't it :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 14:21 »
They certainly deserve it alright!  >:(

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 22:32 »
The only problem with leaving them in the ground to dig up on Christmas day is that if we have a winter like last year you'll need a pneumatic drill.

That's why a smart ass like me grows some carrots and snips in containers to bring into the unheated greenhouse. Fresh veg for din-dins on Christmas day guaranteed.  8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 05:31 »
A smart ass like me doesn't mess around with containers.

I'll keep an eye on the weather forecast and if it looks like turning cold, bring some home & heel them in.

xx
Christmas Carrots

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 20:52
by mumofstig
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Christmas Veg Bed

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2009, 22:59
by solway cropper
xx
Christmas in May

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 12:10
by madcat

Page created in 0.899 seconds with 29 queries.