Bringing chillies/peppers indoors

• 8 Replies

viettaclark

Bringing chillies/peppers indoors
« on: September 11, 2010, 21:37 »
I've got some wonderful plants on the go, loaded with fruit, some of which won't ripen before the frosts and wondered if I can put them on a light window sill over Winter.
I've seen posts about how it means an earlier start next year but can't find the info about how to go about it.
Do you cut back when the fruit is ripe? Do you feed etc?
Has anyone done this successfully?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bringing chillies/peppers indoors
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 00:29 »
bring them in and keep them somewhere warm and as light as possible. carry on feeding and watering until the fruits are ripe and then picked.
Then ease up on the watering and stop feeding.
Give them a good prune and again if poss move them somewhere that's light but a bit cooler, so they just tick over for the winter.

In the spring tip them out and pull off any loose compost that you can, and repot.
Give a little more water and bring them back into the warm, so that they start to grow again.

I kept mine in the spare bedroom and then brought them down to the kitchen and had a tremendous crop this year. Good luck!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 00:50 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you pick the green chillis, thread them up in a ristra and hang them up indoors in the warm they'll turn red like that, and subsequently dry out. Has anyone ever tried this?

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:15 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you pick the green chillis, thread them up in a ristra and hang them up indoors in the warm they'll turn red like that, and subsequently dry out. Has anyone ever tried this?

Yes!  I spent ages during my first year two years ago threading chillis carefully alternating the red, orange and green chillies.  It looked very nice!  Put them in the airing cupboard to dry out (don't think you have to do this though) and then when I looked at them a few days later they were all red!

I am going to try to overwinter some chillies this year as trying to grow more and more each year.  Went to the garden centre 2 weekends ago and they had a chilli festival.  It was a great idea and they had cooking, chilli products and lots of chilli plants at 3 for £10.  Silly customers I said, they won't last long.  Then I found myself walking out with 3!  I will have a go at overwintering them was my justification!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:29 »
I counted the number of chillis on just one of my Superchilli plants yesterday, and there was 68. And I've got four Superchilli plants equally loaded, plus a Cayenne with about 25 more (but much bigger chillis). So I've got plenty there to make a nice ristra. They are turning red now, but I doubt if they'll all turn before the weather gets colder. I can't decide whether to leave them on the plants or pick them and string them up.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 23:22 »
What's a ristra?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:37 »
What's a ristra?

It's when you tie or sew a load of chilli peppers into a long string, bit like a string of onions. I think it used to be the traditional way of drying them. You string them up and put them somewhere light and warm and they dry out without rotting, so you end up with dried chillies which you can use when you want to.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 07:13 »

We've been using them, green off the plant, regularly since early summer and now have a lovely little Ristra growing too as we pick them ripe. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:14 »
I just remembered, there's a picture of a Ristra in this thread:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=52335.0

:)

xx
Is it too early to sow my chillies indoors!!!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 18:14
by Joolz
xx
Chillies & peppers

Started by texas on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2017, 18:26
by candygold1
xx
Chillies and peppers

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 17:11
by compostqueen
xx
Chillies/Peppers

Started by afcb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 12, 2018, 10:58
by I Love Spuds

Page created in 1.137 seconds with 38 queries.