Butternut squash

• 26 Replies

Fisherman

Re: Butternut squash
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 08:54 »
I thinks its been down to the weather. I grew Festival squash, 4 plants outside and 2 under a plastic cloche. The ones outside have squash on them but they are only the size of a golf ball / tennis ball and are too small to do anything with. The ones under the cloche have each got 4 decent sized squash on them about a couple of pound in weight each. I grew this variety because the fruit are an ideal size for 2 people.

paintedlady

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 10:17 »
I grew 3 different varieties from fresh seed (Metro F1 PMR butternut, Kings seed butternut squash & Waltham butternut), all 15 seeds germinated and grew into healthy plants.  Some were planted out at the allotment (in very fertile soil with lots of manure dug in), some in big pots and grown on the patio (very sheltered south facing - should have been perfect ideal conditions) and ... nothing  :(  I've had loads of flowers on all of them too.  My other squashes on the other hand did very well while cucumbers, courgettes & marrows have been the best year yet, so it's a bit of a mystery. 

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Ropster

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 15:49 »
5 Plants, 5 squashes, not huge ones though,

whistler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 20:32 »
Hi all,

I grew five Chieftan  BNS (because I couldn't get Hunter seeds).  I got them from Tuckers in Ashburton,  we mangaed thirteen squashes ranging from about 600g. to 3kg., we haven't tried eating any yet, just waiting for their skins to harden and lose all the green  This is my first year growing them and we planted them on the contents of one of my dalek compost bins.

I'm sooo looking forward to roasting one!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 09:02 »
I grew 6 varietys of squash this yr , the hunter butternuts are they only ones that look like i might not get any! same story last yr.

Tbh butternut not exactly my favourite squash anyway so i next yr im not gona bother with em. other squash grow so much easier, i find.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

oldwilliam

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 09:43 »
Just had my best ever year for Butternuts, 10 Waltham have yielded 35 fruits, the majority over 3kg in weight. (Sorry Paintedlady). The downside is that we could be mighty sick of butternuts before winter is over..... :)

paintedlady

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 15:30 »
Just had my best ever year for Butternuts, 10 Waltham have yielded 35 fruits, the majority over 3kg in weight. (Sorry Paintedlady). The downside is that we could be mighty sick of butternuts before winter is over..... :)

:tongue2:  there's always next year ...

this morning I was doing a search of butternut varieties and instead came across this interesting information http://www.tozerseeds.com/butternut-squash/production/- in particular, pollination.  I have lavender growing on the patio and also a bed of Munstead lavender at the plot near where the butternut was planted out - both are bee attracters which apparently is detrimental to butternut pollination (although it doesn't explain why the other cucurbits were more successful)  Next year my new squash bed at the other end of the plot should be ready (I've been piling in the compostables and manure) so fingers crossed  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 15:36 »
Whilst in the greenhouse this morning I thought I would turn the ripening butternuts.

One of them had started the 'funny brown circles' type of rot. I brought it in and luckily the rot was only skin deep, I'd caught it just in time.

So watch out..check your butternuts often  :lol:

digalotty

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 20:37 »
do you know what caused it mos
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 20:40 »
I used saved seed, produced 2 monster plants, but they've only just started fruiting ... I think I'll buy some seed next year !!   :mellow:
I've had fantastic success with Crown Prince so I'm keen to do more squashes.

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 20:43 »
do you know what caused it mos

It was the same as the one in this topic
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=64004.msg732525#msg732525

and I think it was just the cool wet weather, just when they wanted warm and dry  ::)

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 21:05 »
Whilst in the greenhouse this morning I thought I would turn the ripening butternuts.

One of them had started the 'funny brown circles' type of rot. I brought it in and luckily the rot was only skin deep, I'd caught it just in time.

So watch out..check your butternuts often  :lol:

Hope it's not that Gummy Stem Blight thingy that I got. From what I read it can develop in storage. :-(

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=64004.0;attach=13097;image

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
4lb 2oz butternut squash!!

Started by gurtie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 16:34
by gurtie
xx
Butternut squash

Started by ian.ford on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 12:09
by Kristen
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 11:27
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 40 queries.