Suggestions for a good bell pepper, please, and aubergine

• 15 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Suggestions for a good bell pepper, please, and aubergine
« on: September 09, 2010, 19:28 »
This year I did reasonably well with Peperone Rubens for a grilling pepper. I haven't got a big crop from it, but I did lose my first lot of seedlings because of the cold spring, and had to start a second lot so they were late. The peppers I have got are a very good size and nice for grilling. I'm going to try overwintering a plant, to try to get a jump start next year.

What I now need is suggestions for a good bell pepper. I've never had much luck with them in the past. I tried Etiuda last year, but despite being started early they produced only about 2 or 3 fruit per plant, and those had quite thin flesh so weren't much good for eating raw nor for cooking. I want something with a thicker flesh than that, preferably red, more productive and early, so it'll be worth the compost even if we do have a lousy summer. But 2 or 3 fruit per plant really doesn't seem worthwhile.

I also wouldn't mind some aubergine suggestions. This year and last I did Bonica, but didn't get much fruit from them. This year they were late starting and I've managed 2 fruit between 3 plants, but last year they were fairly early yet still I only managed a couple of small fruit per plant. I thought about trying Black Beauty next year. Any thoughts on that?

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Re: Suggestions for a good bell pepper, please, and aubergine
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 20:32 »
Hiya Shokkyy,

I grew black beauty aubergines this year, and to be honest I won't bother again. I have about 6 spread across 3 plants. Not really impressed.

Steve

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 20:51 »
I grew black beauty aubergines this year, and to be honest I won't bother again. I have about 6 spread across 3 plants. Not really impressed.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's really worth growing aubergines unless you have a heated greenhouse to extend the season.

On the pepper front - I've become a big fan of Italian seeds in the last year or two, and I've been browsing through the peppers on Seeds of Italy. Anyone ever tried Pepper Rosso of Asti or Pepper Carmagnola?

shedgirl

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:02 »

For the last 2 years have grown 'Long Purple' aubergines, from Kings seeds. Kept them in the conservatory and got loads of aubergines from them. 2 plants were enough as they are huge and take over the room! Would definitely reccomend them. Going to try some on the allotment next year.
 Have grown bell peppers on allotment but peppers very small and not many. Might try another variety next year.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 16:00 »
I grew Moneymaker aubergines (outdoors, no greenhouse), and I got a great harvest. I also grew Brabentane aubergines, and while they were as productive, the fruits are smaller so the overall harvest was inferior.
I can't offer advice about the peppers, I grew Orange Bell and Kaibi but none of them produced more than 3 peppers each.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 20:34 »
I grew Moneymaker aubergines (outdoors, no greenhouse), and I got a great harvest. I also grew Brabentane aubergines, and while they were as productive, the fruits are smaller so the overall harvest was inferior.
I can't offer advice about the peppers, I grew Orange Bell and Kaibi but none of them produced more than 3 peppers each.

When did you start off those aubergines? How are they planted, pots or ground? If pots, how big are those pots? And how many fruit per plant are you getting from them? I've got a feeling I might have tried Moneymaker in the past, though I'm not sure. I have them in pots, on a suntrap patio, tomato feed once a week and plenty of water, but a pitiful performance.

I found the Barbentane on Real Seed Co, who reckon they're early and productive in a UK climate. I don't mind smaller fruit too much, so that might be worth a try. They also rate Diamond highly for a UK climate - anyone tried those? And has anyone tried Spany/Linda, which I saw on the SoI site?

I think my Peperone Rubens would have given an outstanding crop had they not had a late start. My best plant has eight peppers on it, with plenty more flowers setting at the top, but sadly too late for them. One of those peppers is enormous and a couple more are a decent size, but the rest are fairly small and need to grow on more, and no sign of them turning red so far. I just need to find my perfect bell pepper and I'm all set.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 21:06 »
I started the aubergines off indoors in February, and kept them indoors until it was warm enough. They're in raised beds, 1ft deep, one plant per square foot. I use the square foot gardening method, with the type of soil mixed recommended by it (one third of manures or green compost, one third peat or peat substitute, one third coarse vermiculite). I gave them plenty of water. As they started flowering, I fed them with some comfrey tea, and at the beginning I "helped" the setting of the fruit by using a brush to pollinate the plants, until I saw that there were enough bees around (they seem to be crazy for them).
I got most of my seeds from Real Seed (including the peppers). While they weren't massively productive, they've now fully mature...
Mind you, I think we have had a particularly hot summer, I wonder if I'll have quite as much luck next year...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 13:15 by oldcow »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 21:34 »
They're in raised beds, 2ft deep, one plant per square foot.

I just wonder if it's the fact that the pots are restricting the growth on mine. I've always grown them in pots, so if that is the problem that would explain why other varieties in other years have all given poor results. I can't remember pot size, but I would think they were 10". Maybe they need more space.

andy135

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 23:01 »
I've grown sweet peppers for the first time this year in my unheated g/house.
They're in flower buckets 60% No2 potting compost/40% rotted manure.
They are about a month late, as are most things this year, but they are now producing quite heavily. They are green and show no signs of ripening but we like them green.
Californian Wonder are now giving me 4 fruits per week off two plants. Worldbeater are just getting to a good picking size and the three plants have about 12 fruit on each.
I dont mind them coming all at once as I'll just freeze them.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 00:08 »
I grow aubs and sweet peppers but am beginning to wonder if they're worth the room they take up and I think I'm going to stop bothering with sweet peppers next year.  Aubs I've done ok with are Bonica, Barbentane, Diamond and the best I've produced are Listada di Gandia, but probably the two decent ones I've harvested so far this year will be the last. There's a few tiddlers in the offing at the moment.  All grown in either the conservatory or unheated greenhouse. I put them outside on warm days

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 01:22 »
Californian Wonder are now giving me 4 fruits per week off two plants. Worldbeater are just getting to a good picking size and the three plants have about 12 fruit on each.

Blimey, 12 fruit per plant would be worthwhile. I've never known a sweet pepper to have so many. How many of those do you think will be big enough for picking by the end of season? How many in total have you had per Californian Wonder plant?

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 08:42 »
I've grown 'King of the North' sweetpepper outside for the last 2-3 seasons with great success. This year half of the row is in shade during the day, and whilst the yields are down at that end they are still producing a worthwhile crop. Interestingly the plants at the sunny end were decimated by pigeons whilst I was away late May/early June, and not only did they recover, but they are producing a bumper crop. A dozen fair to good sized peppers per plant seems about right too.

SS

andy135

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 08:44 »

Blimey, 12 fruit per plant would be worthwhile. I've never known a sweet pepper to have so many. How many of those do you think will be big enough for picking by the end of season? How many in total have you had per Californian Wonder plant?

The 12 are in very different stages of growth and I doubt if they will fully mature. Probably end up in a stir fry. The caif wonder have only just started to get to a size worth picking. Had about 4 off each plant so far.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 13:22 »
I won't bother with peppers either next year; I have limited space and I can't afford to have a plant sitting for 7 months to get a couple of peppers out of it....

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 18:55 »
andy135 are the peppers indoors or out.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Sweet Bell Pepper Problem

Started by devonbarmygardener on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 20:59
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Bell-Pepper Toppepo Rosso anyone?

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 22:42
by Trillium
xx
Looking for higher yield from a bell-type pepper

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2023, 12:11
by hasbeans
xx
Something is eating my aubergine and purple pepper

Started by suzy g on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2016, 22:14
by suzy g

Page created in 1.47 seconds with 36 queries.