chick attacked

• 4 Replies

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
chick attacked
« on: September 08, 2010, 23:55 »
On Sunday for some reason some of our hens took a dislike to one of our 9-10 week old chicks, they've all been mixing with no problems for the last 2 weeks. We found her laying very still in a corner of the run with most of our hens surrounding her. On picking her up I feared the worse and was shocked to see that they had pulled every feather from her back, it looked so so sore, fortunately the skin appeared unbroken. We brought her home, washed her with anti-septic then applied the purple spray. After a few hours at home we put her back in a seperate pen with mum and her sibling, she now appears to be feeding and drinking with no problems. Now a question for the more expierenced hen keepers, has anyone had a similar situation, do you think her feathers will regrow?  or will my wife have to knit a little cardy for her !! 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chick attacked
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:54 »
her feathers will regrow back fine, perhaps mum is trying now to let the chicks know that they are no longer her babies and need to start being independant. Also have a good check for mites and lice she could have been removing them, check the coop and each individual bird (broody hens are prone to mites).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:28 »
thanks for your reply Joyful, no mites etc, it was our other hens that took a dislike to her, anyhow she's feeding well so hopefully will be ok. Re-introducing her to her attackers will be another matter though !

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:34 »
Is there a cockerel in the run as well ?

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 12:24 »
No Cockerels allowed on our allotments, we have 8 hybrid hens & 2 bantams. The chick thankfully appears fine now, I just have to try and catch her to check her back again, fingers crossed the feathers will regrow as it's completely bare at the moment.

xx
Chick attacked by rat - Update plus pic

Started by kegs on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 13:44
by kegs
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Attacked by a rat????

Started by RosieMay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:19
by RosieMay

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 29 queries.