Do all chickens carry disease?

• 11 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Do all chickens carry disease?
« on: September 08, 2010, 20:13 »
I was chatting to a friend today who said that all chickens carry a disease that is harmful to humans.  I've done lots of research before deciding to get my chickens and came across nothing that suggested this.  Is it true and is it something I should be concerned about as I have a young child.

Kind Regards

Beth

tedsdad

Re: Do all chickens carry disease?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 20:44 »
Does this originate in that rant from Some stupid M.P. who said that all chickens had salmonella? The simple truth is that no-one in their right mind would snog any animal. In  truth all animals including dogs cats whatever not being quite as hygienic in their habits are potential health risks,but you just use a bit of common sense.My 3 kids have been brought up with poultry pigs goats sheep and cattle,they help care for them,and by the grace of God,they've always been pretty healthy.......and they've only ever drank unpasturised milk straight from the goat.Trust your children are at far more risk from car fumes.  best wishes  Jerry.

josh5357

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 20:52 »
Does this originate in that rant from Some stupid M.P. who said that all chickens had salmonella? The simple truth is that no-one in their right mind would snog any animal. In  truth all animals including dogs cats whatever not being quite as hygienic in their habits are potential health risks,but you just use a bit of common sense.My 3 kids have been brought up with poultry pigs goats sheep and cattle,they help care for them,and by the grace of God,they've always been pretty healthy.......and they've only ever drank unpasturised milk straight from the goat.Trust your children are at far more risk from car fumes.  best wishes  Jerry.
mad MP, Is this the one and only Edwina Currie

tedsdad

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 21:14 »
Yeah that's the one, presumably boiled eggs and soldiers were'nt on John Major's breakfast tray! Seriously, Bird\ Pig\whatever Flu stories might sell a few papers,but they can ruin a good small business providing good produce to local people.( Sorry if I sound bitter.)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 21:22 »
Door handles and money are more of a health risk.  :)

evie2

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 21:44 »
Door handles and money are more of a health risk.  :)

and chopping boards :)

My grand daughter is 2 and she's grown up with cats, rabbits, chickens and a snake, she collects the eggs every day (same at nursery) and she knows too wash her hands afterwards.  Common sense is what's needed not scaremongering :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:16 »
Thank you for the advice.  I can happily carry on planning for my new arrivals now.

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34 »
Carry on planning for your new girls and enjoy them. :)

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 15:58 »
Hi, Hope you don't mind a little addition, even though most has been said. All animals can carry viruses/bacteria/parasites which can affect man and with few exceptions good hygiene is all you need to avoid most. It also can work humans to animals. Drinking unpasteurised milk from your own goat should not be mixed up with drinking unpasteurised milk from an unknown animal. As 8doubles pointed out doorhandles are a risk. Inanimate objects such as handles are called fomites in the jargon and are really very important in the spread of some diseases such as the noroviruses which plague cruise ships. A couple of years ago we swabbed houses (some with pets) looking for bacteria on fomites and expecting to find bathroom and kitchen would be the worst. They weren't; the objects with the highest bacterial count were the TV remote and the games console controls. It's easy to see that people pat the dog and continue playing. Wash hands before eating means they aren't a problem, but a good reason not to give remotes to very young who suck everything. It's just a matter of breaking the chain between animal and human.
We've 16 birds and grand-daughter who thinks that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread - and I agree with her. Enjoy.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 19:34 »
Thank you for the reassurance, I really am excited to get my girls, will post photo's when they arrive.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 20:32 »
I am a firm believer in the more exposure children get to germs and dirt etc, the more resistant and strong their immune systems are. 

I have 2 boys, 7 & 3 who have been brought up around animals, including chickens and they are very healthy and have no allergies, not even hayfever!  (touch wood). As opposed to my friend who lives in a pet free home and her children always have colds and sniffles!

C x
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

orchardlady

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 21:27 »
A comment about your eggs and hygiene.

I love to make ice cream, good old vanilla is the family favourite. I don't cook the eggs in the custard, they go in raw. However I would NEVER recommend someone else to do this with my eggs. It's the risk that I have chosen to take. Kept hens for 15 years and been making ice cream for 10 and never a problem.

xx
poultry projects to carry me through the winter .

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 21:43
by muntjac
xx
Mareks disease

Started by minniebantam on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 13:03
by hillfooter
xx
Marek's Disease

Started by Beth on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:28
by Beth
xx
disease or injury

Started by ryan on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 02, 2010, 19:15
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 36 queries.