Things I don't bother doing on the allotment....

• 45 Replies

TheSpartacat

Re: Things I don't bother doing on the allotment....
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 15:06 »
Hi,

I have tried the not bothering to pinch out tomato shoots, and just let them ramble and sprawl... it worked ok. I got more tomatoes. It was a bit trickier pinching out the tops to stop them growing at the end of the season. Its much easier to do with stand alone tomato plants that i have in the garden- but in the allotment, it does take up more space and the tomato plants can all tangle up, so... will just try it in my garden from now on!

Interested in your no watering experiments. I've not had the guts to completely ignore watering things like tomatoes but have left things like brassicas as they shade out the soil themselves and theres relatively little water evaporation from the soil then. I would suspect potatoes as well would cope ok, though this year in the drought i gave them a good soak.

But I DO try to not over water because i want plants to develop deep roots... well that was at least until i realised that my allotment neighbour was over-kindly watering my veg as well as his own. LOL
I'll have to ask him not to, because it does mean shallow root systems and the plants won't know what hit them whenever he goes away (because i was oblivious to their extra curricular waterings!!)

Trillium

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 15:31 »
I still can't see any difference in tom yields with pinching or not pinching off shoots, but in the end I do pinch the lower leaves off simply due to the fact that if I don't, I have a veritable jungle to deal with. I can't see anything, the toms can't get any sun, mold can get a good hold, and the leaves hog all the water, so off with the excess of leaves. I leave most of the upper leaves for some shade and health and my plants put out nice healthy crops. That's mostly what I care about so I compensate with extra plants.

I also leave my french bean plants as they put out more flushes of beans in fall. I cover them at night with heavy fleece. I haven't room for loads of plants so this makes up for the shortage.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 18:54 »
Is growing any Salads. I grow them all at home in containers for instant picking.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 19:02 »
Things i don't do that i've heard you should/do do that i've heard you should

1) I don't water unless in pots - I have clay soil and a high water table so there is no need most of the time.

2) I don't chit sweetcorn

3) I don't dig a trench for my runner beans or my potatos

4) i do chit earlys but won't bother with main crops potatos next year

5) I don't double dig - I let my husband have the pleasure!!!  :lol:

6) I don't weed as much as i should

7) I don't put straw down for my cucumbers - they just have to rough it.

8) I don't pinch out tomatoes, i just cant be bothered and i quite like the 'trifid taking over the greenhouse' look!

9) I do natter with the neigbours far more than is necessary, and far more than time allows usually!  ;)
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 19:15 »
Things i don't do that i've heard you should/do do that i've heard you should

Can't quite work out whether I agree with that or not!  :unsure:  :lol:

Neither do I! (Using old seed outdoors might well be a different matter but using fresh seed sown straight into paper pots indoors has always given me almost 100% germination.)

Some things in gardening are usually either right or wrong, but chitting sweetcorn seems to be more a matter of personal experience!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 19:33 »

I only do it so that I can tell within a few days if I need to sow more cos some hasn't grown,.............I have no patience you see :D

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 21:04 »
On the watering issue depends on the plant for me if the edible bit is below ground I tend to water less. Things I want to eat the top bits of I water far more often. Just a personal view based on absolutley no scientific research what so ever. Not everything fits this vague rule though spuds get regular watering, onions and leeks get to tough it out unless conditions are really bad . On the don't do list. I don't
1) Examine the next plot to carefully, plot envy is a terrible thing
2) Visit my plot often enough
3) Plant anything late, I sadly don't have enough patience to wait for seed packet dates neither for planting or harvesting times.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 10:17 »
I haven't chitted sweetcorn before but I do now ignore the seed packet advice and sow almost on top of the compost in the pot.  A fellow plot holder gave me that tip and I get almost 100% germination now  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 10:23 »
I don't bother doing the Times crossword on the plot.  Or anywhere else either as I can never get any of the clues. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 10:51 »
 :lol: very  :dry:

Geordie Gal

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 18:17 »
I haven't chitted sweetcorn before but I do now ignore the seed packet advice and sow almost on top of the compost in the pot.  A fellow plot holder gave me that tip and I get almost 100% germination now  :D

My 10 year old planted the sweetcorn, no chitting just threw some seeds randomly into a pot and covered [ish] with some seed compost.  Result 100% germination and a fabulous crop. Next year's "I don't" will be I don't plant seeds as I let my kids do it.

For the other dos and don't dos:

I try not to water too much as my Dad always told me not to.  Good enough advice for me!!  

I do weed as I'm a control freak.

I don't let my OH see the bill for seeds - or the bill for shoes but that's a girl thing!

I do try not to tell my kids that there is a bees nest under the shed as they might stop visiting.

I don't spend enough time at the plot as I have to earn cash to pay the plot fees [oh and yes forgot..... and to pay the mortgage!]

GG

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 18:23 by DD. »

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40 »

I don't let my OH see the bill for seeds - or the bill for shoes but that's a girl thing!

;) Same here

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 21:05 »
Regarding the no water issue....I think it depends on how you water. I see people on our site just sprinkling a bit around,barely settling the dust.I think this is worse than not watering at all, as the plants will keep their roots near the surface waiting for that regular drop which will quickly be used up....Far better to  give established plants a really good soaking say once a week,they will then get the benefit of water immediately, but which also has got right down so they are encouraged to get their roots down to find it as well....just my opinion.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 15:59 »
Regarding the no water issue....I think it depends on how you water. I see people on our site just sprinkling a bit around,barely settling the dust.I think this is worse than not watering at all, as the plants will keep their roots near the surface waiting for that regular drop which will quickly be used up....Far better to  give established plants a really good soaking say once a week,they will then get the benefit of water immediately, but which also has got right down so they are encouraged to get their roots down to find it as well....just my opinion.

And you're completely correct  ;) :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 22:25 »
Not bothering with Autumn sown broad beans any more.  They all rotted off this year and so will wait until Spring in future.
John

xx
Things I won't bother to grow next year.

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

111 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 01:02
by devonbarmygardener
xx
First things (EVER) planted at the allotment :D

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 17:58
by Rangerkris
xx
I have picked the first things from my allotment today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 20:40
by debih
xx
Won't bother with that again

Started by seanandde on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 07:45
by kevinp

Page created in 0.867 seconds with 30 queries.