Feather pecking - how to stop it?

• 7 Replies

carolbriar

Feather pecking - how to stop it?
« on: September 08, 2010, 18:39 »
I have 5 hens in a very large fixed run.  They have a few different things in the run - log, table etc which they can get onto and they have a dust bath.  I have found various feathers in the run over the last few weeks and assumed they were having a mini moult.  One hen in particular has had feathers missing around her neck for a while and for the first time today found one of the hens pecking and pulling out the odd feather.  Later on another hen had a go at pecking the same hen.  The pecked hen was broody a few weeks ago and is now back to laying most days.  They are all just over a year old.  The hen that I saw peck out the feather spat it out - she didn't eat it.  How can I stop this behaviour?  Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 20:48 by carolbriar »
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

bantam novice

Re: Feather pecking - how to stop it.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 19:16 »
Can't offer suggestions about stopping the behaviour but wish you all the best.  Good Luck!  I'm not very experienced but do you think this could be a sorting of the pecking order?  The other thing that springs to mind is to keep the purple spray ready in case you see any blood.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 20:29 »
Hi Bantam novice.  I have the purple spray and will keep an eye on them again tomorrow.  I would say she is probably down at the bottom of the pecking order so it could be but I hadn't realised this was going on until today.  The feathers I have found in the run over the last couple of months have been from a variety of the hens.  Mainly from one hen at a time.  I just thought a mini moult which I would think is now probably unlikely.  I have just mixed up the food and flubenvet ready for tomorrow morning and will put frontline on them tomorrow just to cover everything.  I will probably put some of the purple spray on the pecked hen as well to make sure there isn't a problem.  I don't really know what else to do.  I might try and get some cd's up or a mirror to try and make sure they are occupied.  I did think about a sweet corn or three hung up but just remembered the flubenvet which means no treats :(  Any other suggestions please everyone.   

Big Jen

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 20:49 »
A good anti peck spray like Ukadex is needed to stop it before it gets any worse as they can do terrible damage.
Until you can get some, try some Vicks vapour rub spread on nice and thick- it works

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

evie2

Re: Feather pecking - how to stop it?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 21:48 »
Is Vicks vapour rub safe Jenny?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Big Jen

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 22:25 »
Its commonly used by many breeders. I have used it on dutch bantams which I breed, and they feather peck a lot.  No ill effects. You can put it up your own nose so cant be harmful?
It doesnt smell as disgusting as Ukadex either but the chickens hate the taste and run round trying to rub it off their beaks.
Ukadex also works but stains the feathers badly and if you get it on yourself- YUK
I have also been told that aftershave or strong perfume works but have never tried it
Jenny

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 22:43 »
thanks Jenny I might try that  :D

tedsdad

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 22:50 »

I have also been told that aftershave or strong perfume works but have never tried it
Jenny

Vick sounds really good,never thought of that,not too sure about aftershave on damaged skin though,my mis-spent youth taught me that aftershave applied to some delicate areas stings like hell!

xx
Feather pecking

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 21:20
by Yorkie
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Mickey2stroke on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 23:57
by Big Jen
xx
feather pecking

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:44
by carsmarco252
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 18:04
by woodburner

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.