to dig................or not to dig?

• 9 Replies

mrsparsnip

« on: July 24, 2006, 07:26 »
now then, sorry to keep asking questions......... :)

I have now strimmed the bulk of the weeds and grass away on my plot (picture update to upload later today), and I am very pleased with my now semi blank canvas!  I am about to mark out where my various rasied beds are going and will be putting some sheeting down for the next few months before I dig in any manure.  should I dig before I put the sheets down or wait and do it after?

my instincts are telling me not to make too much work for myself and soften the ground with the sheets and dig it all over when I take them up, but a few people have said the opposite of that!?

all help appreciated.

John ; have been looking at where my comfrey patch can go......you have me hooked sir!  what also can you plant on ground that you are not doing much with for a whle that will condition the ground and or you can dig in when ready to use?
'what ever I am, where ever I am, this is me' - Hannah Hauxwell

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:58 »
There's a range of green manures you can use - I like agricultural mustard as it is fast growing, suppresses weeds and is easy to dig in but it is a brassica and can be bad if you have club root problems. (Available from Dobies via the allotment shop and good stores everywhere, as they say)

You can also sow field or tic beans, they help hold nitrogen over winter. The beans themselves are more an animal than human feed. You can use ordinary dwarf French beans as a green manure - with the added benefit of an edible crop.

Autumn sown broad beans (var. Aquadulce) will also hold nitrogen in the ground over winter.

There are quite a lot of other green manures - take a look at the organic catalogue - they have a good range.

On the subject of manures, you can't beat a great steaming pile of horse or cow dung. Preferably well rotted. Apply late in the year at two barrows per square yard and rotovate / fork into the top 6 inches of the soil and your fertility will shoot up for next year as well as improved soil structure.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mrsparsnip

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:46 »
excellent advice!  thank you.  should I dig the ground over before I put the plastic sheets down?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:12 »
Quote from: "mrsparsnip"
excellent advice!  thank you.  should I dig the ground over before I put the plastic sheets down?

If you've removed the weeds then you could use sheets to prevent growth until late autumn. I'd be minded to dig it over later in the year and let the frost break up the soil to a fine tilth.

If you've a light soil then look at some winter green manures to hold nutrient .
Good luck

Oliver

HORSE MANURE
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 12:42 »
Quote from: "john"
horse or cow dung ...two barrows per square yard
Blimey! However, He went a bit mad earlier in the year - half a 5-pole plot has a HUGH pile of nice well-rotted horseship (as she used to say many yars ago when she was little) on it. So just as well we need a lot. Thanks John. Her arms are now going to get strong and well as long ...
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 13:56 »
You're welcome, Oliver - let the humans do the work and you can check they are doing it correctly!

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 14:34 »
Hiya,
I agree with John and it worked for me last year.

Got our plot in August when it was waist high in grass and weed.  Cut it down weedkilled and then left it for a couple of weeks.  Hired a path burner and burned everything back to ground level and then covered the plot until the new year.

Took the covers off and rough dug, removing the roots as we went.  Left uncovered for frost and rain to get at it and break it all down.  Hired a rotovator in march and got it well broken down and full of air.

If you take a look in my personal gallery, you will see just how well it has worked.  Despite the watering restrictions it is growing very well and we are eating very well from it.

Very best of luck - its is hard work but the benefits are worth it.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

mrsparsnip

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 16:27 »
blimey!  I have a lot of work to do before my plot looks anything like any of yours! altough having watched the big dig and seen the newbie.........my hopes are now high! ;)

mrsparsnip

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 16:28 »
forgot to say...........have uploaded a few more pics so you can see the progress :)  well I feel I've got somewhere.  it certainly doesn;t look like the same plot I took on!

milkman

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 09:39 »
Hallo Mrs Parsnip great pics - re comfrey patch - think very carefully about where it is to go, as once the plants are established you can still move them BUT you will still get comfrey coming up in the original location.  The roots can extend very deep underground, so however much of the root you think you have removed, it is very likely you will leave a little snippet which will always regrow.  

I would advise holding off planting it until you have had a chance to dig your plot over thoroughly, as you don't want to end up putting it in a prime veg growing location.  Find a marginal spot that you don't think you'll be able to do much with.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Page created in 1.086 seconds with 36 queries.