Passata and heat processing

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Passata and heat processing
« on: September 05, 2010, 20:23 »
I've cracked and ordered the passata machine from Seeds of Italy. I hope it arrives soon because I'm fast disappearing under a mountain of tomatoes, and I'm about out of space in my freezer. I've never made passata before but intend on following the instructions given at Cevenol Kitchen. She advises heat processing to seal the jars, which I've never done before. I do have jam jars with the right sort of lids, but just wanted a bit of advice on the actual boiling bit. I don't have a heat processing pan or a pasta pan to use, so was planning on using my maslin pan. I just have some questions I'd really like to get answered, if anyone can help.

Is it ok for the jars to stand on the bottom of the pan? I'm just wondering why the Cevenol instructions advise using a draining insert to hold the jars. Is it ok for the jars to touch each other, or should they be separated by something? And should the boil be a fast boil, slow simmer or somewhere in between?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Passata and heat processing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 20:35 »
Put an old folded t towel on the bottom, and don't let the jars touch each other or the sides or they crack :(

My jam thermometer gives a temp line for bottleing and it's between a slow simmer and a full rolling boil :)

Good luck!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 20:46 »
My jam thermometer gives a temp line for bottleing and it's between a slow simmer and a full rolling boil :)

Ah, so I guess we're talking about a slow rolling boil or a full simmer? :)

Thanks for the answers and glad I asked or I'd have had a maslin pan full of boiling passata  :D

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 20:50 »
You can use any stock pot, dutch oven or tall pot to boil the jars in, and yes, they need proper boiling rather than self-sealing jam jar lid type things. Without proper boiling you risk salmonella, something I got with boiled jars and frozen toms, so now I always pressure can mine and have never had problems. Each person is different to their tolerances so try your choice and see how it works out for you.

When I have just a few jars I use the raised circular base that came with my regular sized pressure cooker to place roasts and such on. No need to separate the jars with 'things' but do be sure they don't touch so enough hot water circulates freely to get the contents heat up to the range needed. I'd highly recommend 30 minutes at least if not longer to be safe.

xx
Heat processing passata jars not working

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 00:53
by Trillium
xx
Heat Processing...Is it really necessary?

Started by tenderness on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 23:47
by tenderness
question
Passata

Started by Plot2B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 19:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Passata

Started by Sparkyrog on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 15:26
by Trillium

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 31 queries.