New to chicken keeping" need some advice please ; -

• 4 Replies

fuzzywuzzy

New to chicken keeping" need some advice please ; -
« on: September 04, 2010, 10:40 »
Hi to everyone, I have been keeping chickens now for about 4 months i have had some problems and am learning new things every day, reading forum pages like this help me out alot even tho you dont know it (but you kow now) and i would like to say a big thankyou to you all.

I have a problem with one of my chicks i have tried looking on the internet for some advice and to see if there are any other people that have had the same problem but can not find anything - so may be some one here can help me?

I have 9 chickens - 4 silkies, 5 leghorns, i have hatched some eggs and got two georgous chicks, both polish - one a black and white crested, and one a chamois. They are two weeks old and are in a brooder and doing well, I have an electric hen and the chicks are eating medicated starter food some small treats now also which include very little bits of bread, meal worms and little bits of greens. One yesterday i noticed had a sore on its head in the middle of the crest - this morning it looks red and sore - i have wiped it with antiseptic and put some petroleum jelly on top to protect it and keep it clean. I do not know if its being pecked by the other chick or if its somthing more sinister? :( If any one has come across this before and its sinister may please get in contact. As i do not know if its somthing to do with the breed.
Sex of both chicks at the moment are un-known to me.
harley 005.jpg

themagicaltoad1

Re: New to chicken keeping" need some advice please ; -
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 20:19 »
Hi
It may well be another chick pecking at it, unfortunately now it has a red/ sore area it will be even more of a target. Can you spray it with a bit of purple spray (gention violets) to deter whoever the culprit is.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 21:42 »
I would definately agree with getting the purple spray as soon as possible to disguise it..... question to the others on the forum though; can it be used on one so young?
Alan

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:01 »
Polish are very susceptible to crest mite so check that this isn't a problem. 

If indeed it is being pecked ensure they have enough room and some distractions like boxes to explore and jump about on to keep them occupied.  Also most importantly cutout any treats and stick with chick crumbs only.  Too much high energy and protein food will definitely not help with forming bad habits.  Keep them active and fed low energy food so they have to bulk up and forage and don't let them get their feed too easily.  It's a bit like feeding kids fast food which can lead to hyperactivity behaviour.
I'm not sure about Purple Gentian spray but I definitely wouldn't apply it by spraying as it will be very dificult to prevent from getting in their eyes which I don't think will be good.  Apply it by dabbing on from a cloth or tissue and use rubber gloves to stop staining your hands.  It can help discourage feather pecking though.
Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 21:34 »
As the chick is so small how about adding the purple spray with a cotton bud? Might be a little more accurate.

xx
chicken keeping newbie needs advice

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 20:29
by boosmummy
xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen
xx
Breaking the "broody"habit-any advice?

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 14:22
by jhub
xx
Help advice needed Sick chick "I think"

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 08:24
by Sassy

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 36 queries.