Showing Jam

• 4 Replies

jamima

Showing Jam
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:16 »
Im a bit dissapointed nobody knows nothing about showing Jam, surely someone out there does !!! ::)

jamima

Re: Showing Jam
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:32 »
Just found an excellent site for showing jam preserves called Jamworld.co.uk :)

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:43 »
WARNING: - This may put you off!

I showed some jam last year and had a terrible experience.

I know nothing about what the criteria are for judging, but I know that my all new recipe from Hught F-W's book (Entitled his "Award Winning Rasberry Jam") didn't work and the jam went mouldy.
I didn't take the lid off to inspect it beforehand, as I didn't think that was allowed, so entered it into the local village hort and prod show.
To cut a long story short, my mouldy jam was reported in the well read hort and prod newsletter, which was also then printed in the local paper. Luckily without my name.

Some poor soul had entered the "wrong" flowers into another class and also got lambasted. I have no idea who they were.

I think a bit of lively local competition is a good thing. My jam went horribly, horribly wrong - and I've made jams for nearly 20 years (and Mr Hugh F-W's book is in the bin!) - but to comment publicly I think is just wrong, wrong, wrong. I was soooooo upset.

Needless to say, I am no longer a member!

(Note to self - now go and check out www.jamworld)

jamima

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:13 »
Oh dear what a bad experience i live two hours away from the show so knowbody knows me anyway still think i'll have a go nothing to loose  :)

Spana

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:33 »
I've had a few things disqualified for not being quite what they asked for :tongue2: :D And the jokes about my Victoria sponge entry last from one year to the next.  My family were so upset when i couldn't enter this year :tongue2: to them :D

You can always phone one of the committee members and ask how they like the preserves presented then you wont have any worries. ::)

xx
showing veg

Started by drmoonshine on The Show Bench

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 12:48
by drmoonshine
xx
Showing Jam

Started by MoreWhisky on The Show Bench

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 21:56
by MoreWhisky
xx
Showing this year

Started by Totty on The Show Bench

9 Replies
Last post September 14, 2014, 13:53
by Totty
xx
A bit of showing advice please..

Started by MoreWhisky on The Show Bench

20 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 23:13
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 39 queries.