green manures and brown manure

• 5 Replies

loobyluce

green manures and brown manure
« on: September 03, 2010, 21:03 »
Hi. I have bought a winter mix of green manure seeds but also have a big pile of brown manure that has been rotting down since spring when I got my plot. We dug in some manure in spring when it was pretty fresh and I don't think it did much harm. I'd like to manure some of my beds this autumn (dictated by the rotation I've started) but was wondering about the green manure seeds. Would it be reasonable to sow them in freshly manured bed or would that be taking things too far? I suppose what I'm asking is it possible to over-do it on the manures?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: green manures and brown manure
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 21:30 »
I'd do one or the other personally.  Manure is very open in texture, whereas seeds tend to germinate better in finer textured soil.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:27 »
I have the same problem, experimenting at the moment!.

You could leave the manure to rot down further then add it in early spring & grow your winter green manure until then. Then you get the cover of green manures + all the organic matter it provides then all the goodness of the brown manure, although this maybe too much for some of your root veg.

I am going for a cover crop of green manures on next years root veg bed and will chop it down well before planting the root crops. For hungry crops such as potatoes I plan to do both (green manures now, brown late winter / spring). Any brown manure I add now will be covered with straw as a mulch to protected from the wind and rain.

I was thinking strips of Brown and green manure may also work well. I might try this also on one of my veg beds.
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

Spana

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:50 »
I wouldn't mix the two.  I would sow the green where i have plans for perhaps root crops and spread the muck over the rest now if your ground is empty .  Then leave both until early spring, strim of the green first and dig both lots in .  :)

loobyluce

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:34 »
Thanks folks. I like the sound of waiting till spring to use the brown stuff! I'm much more ready for action when the sap is rising. Next year's root bed is cleared so I'll sow the seeds today.  :)

Spana

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:17 »
I'm much more ready for action when the sap is rising.

Me to. :lol: I spread muck over my veg beds then come out, close the gate and forget about it until I feel my sap rising in the spring. :lol:

smiley
GREEN MANURES

Started by lincolnlad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 21:46
by peapod
xx
green manures

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 20:18
by sizer247
xx
Green manures

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 10:52
by Headgardener22
xx
Green Manures.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 20:54
by goodtogrow

Page created in 0.705 seconds with 37 queries.