toilet tube pots ?

• 12 Replies

evie2

toilet tube pots ?
« on: September 03, 2010, 13:49 »
I'm planning ahead for next year and was thinking about making paper pots for sowing in the it occurred to me the cardboard tubes from inside toilet rolls (which usually go in the green bin) could be used instead. 

Has anyone tried this?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: toilet tube pots ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 13:51 »
If you do a forum search on "toilet rolls", evie2, you'll find 4 pages of results.

So  think the answer is "yes"!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 13:52 »
I use them for planting up sweetcorn. Worked well for me this year, you gotta make sure you keep them well watered mind cos they can dry out quite quickly
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

evie2

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 14:18 »
just found a site through the forum :D

bigben

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 17:21 »
I collect them all year and tend to use them to germinate parsnips  in before using a bulb planter to replant. I still end up making loads of Richie's paper pots for other things - do a search on the site if you have not come across them.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 19:43 »
Personally I wouldn't recommend them. I did my sweetcorn in them this year, although a few I sowed in ordinary plastic pots. The plastic pot sown ones were WAY better, and the toilet roll ones were really rubbish.
I also did sweet peas in them and they weren't much good either. I don't  know whether the cardboard takes up nitrogen as it rots down  after you plant, or whether the roots are just a bit restricted, or what it is, but I will certainly  not be using them again.
Rachael

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 20:07 »
When i have used toilet rolls in the past they seem to develop mould and little mushrooms. They also tend to fall apart if you water them too much.

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 08:17 »
I store and use them like this.

http://linearlegume.blogspot.com/2009/04/using-loo-roll-insides.html

If they are going mouldy, they are too wet! Ease off on the watering and only water from the bottom.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:26 »
I prefer home-made paper pots as you can make them whatever size you like and I think they break down quicker than cardboard when planted out.

I find that both paper and cardboard tend to go a bit mouldy but it never seems to hurt the fairly robust sort of seedlings normally grown in them.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

evie2

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:39 »
My thought was to cut the tubes in half, sit them on compost to keep them upright before  filling the tubes and if necessary when planting out slit the side.  If nothing else it will be an interesting experiment  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 09:47 »
My thought was to cut the tubes in half, sit them on compost to keep them upright before  filling the tubes and if necessary when planting out slit the side.  If nothing else it will be an interesting experiment  :D

Slitting does help, as does trimming off the top of the tube to make sure it doesn't "wick" water away from the rest of the tube when planted, but it's an added "faff"!

Don't know what seeds you are planning on germinating in your tubes but I would have thought that half-tubes would be much too short for plants like sweetcorn, beans, parsnips (unless you have giant toilet rolls in your part of the world!)  :unsure:

evie2

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 09:58 »
No JayG, normal size but of the very cheep variety :D :D :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 15:32 »
I've done both Loo Rolls and Newspaper pots in the past.  I have given up on Loo Rolls. Too narrow, I like my pots to have a bit more diameter - say 2" - 2.5" - and I as JayG said the newspaper breaks down faster, also easier to tear the top 1" off at planting so that it doesn't act as a drying-out-wick - doing that with a Loo Roll tends to disturb the contents

xx
using toilet rolls as pots

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 21:44
by cooperman
xx
Does anyone use toilet roll tubes as Seed Starter pots?

Started by Batesy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post November 15, 2017, 19:18
by mumofstig
clip
Parsnips - cardboard tube method

Started by Gardener and Rabbit on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post September 06, 2016, 23:56
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Potato growing videos on you tube.

Started by T J on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 08:39
by cathangirl

Page created in 2.494 seconds with 38 queries.